• Engineer
  • Saint Marys, GA
Votes |
When to move funds to self directed?

Ryan McCallister
  • Engineer
  • Saint Marys, GA
Posted Sep 9 2015, 11:48

Right now I am making an investment in a home I currently rent, then I will flip or rent by the first quarter of next year while living in a majority of the time. At some point after/during this I will be working become an active real estate investor. I have an old 401K with near 40K that I believe I want to use for investments.  One fact to consider in my final question it that the current company who has my money will be making changes and my money will not be available between October and November. Also Lost 2.2K in 401K account since June 2015.

Question: Should I consider moving my money now because the market is likely to "bear" more losses? Or should I hold out and only move when I am absolutely ready to start active investment. So essentially will I lose more by leaving in current funds or by having in a self directed I am not active with yet?

I am not sure what factors to evaluate on my own, and the buzz about the market (which I don't fully understand) makes me worry I should move now since I am not long term in the current old employer account.

Thanks! 

Loading replies...