First Investment Property...Tips for tax season

First Investment Property...Tips for tax season

Firefighter · Sacramento , CA · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 8 votes

Hello BP community. I bought my first property in late October. Its a 3 unit in Sacramento California. I have two of them rented and I live in one. My question is what can I write off on my taxes this up coming year? I have made about $5k in repairs to the unit I live in. I have made very little repair to the other two units. Does the fact that I live in one of the unit affect my taxes? I have the property recorded at the county office as a investment property. If that changes anything. I would appreciate any advice or tips from people that have been in a similar situation. Thank you.  

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
10y

Congrats.  Others will know more, but I think you can only deduct expenses for the rented units. Also can depreciate 1/3 of capital expenditures for building components, like new roof.  I recommend you get a copy of the NOLO tax deduction guide for landlords.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    10y

    Congrats.  Others will know more, but I think you can only deduct expenses for the rented units. Also can depreciate 1/3 of capital expenditures for building components, like new roof.  I recommend you get a copy of the NOLO tax deduction guide for landlords.

  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    10y

    I meant depreciate 2/3 of costs for building improvements. 

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jorge Soto:

    Hello BP community. I bought my first property in late October. Its a 3 unit in Sacramento California. I have two of them rented and I live in one. My question is what can I write off on my taxes this up coming year? I have made about $5k in repairs to the unit I live in. I have made very little repair to the other two units. Does the fact that I live in one of the unit affect my taxes? I have the property recorded at the county office as a investment property. If that changes anything. I would appreciate any advice or tips from people that have been in a similar situation. Thank you.  

     You may want to talk to the county, They often have a proration for owner occupied properties in reagrds to property tax exemptions.

    Your repairs for the personal unit are not deductible outside improvements 2/3 deductible or depreciable. That will depend upon the nature of the item. 

    If utilities are not separate you will prorate based upon occupancy.

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    Congrats and good advice above Jorge, and as a brand new landlord, take a look at IRS form schedule e for some basics categories of deductions....I often tell people if you do your own taxes and have itemized and handled some more complicated worksheets, deductions, and credits, then you may be able to go diy on taxes for a couple of rentals with some good resources..but if you have not done taxes or just simple 1040 ez stuff, I would use a cpa with some real estate background in helping  small, residential landlords..best of luck

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527/ch02.html#en...

    The above link has some good useful info.  Get with a good accountant unless you know this stuff inside and out.  Buying rentals is not all long term dep.  Identify and split out appliances into their own categories.  And since you are managing the other two units, ask him/her about the home office deduction.  Squeeze every bit of juice out of that lemon.  If you want a referral for an accountant PM me.    Congratulations!!

  • Firefighter · Sacramento , CA · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for the advise. It looks like I will have to get with an accountant or tax expert during the first couple of years while I learn as much of the tax laws as possible. Again thank you BP community. 

  • Sterling WhitePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 554 posts · 153 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jorge Soto:

    Thank you all for the advise. It looks like I will have to get with an accountant or tax expert during the first couple of years while I learn as much of the tax laws as possible. Again thank you BP community. 

    This will be money well spent.

    I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.