How to categorize cash receive in refinance- bookkeeping

How to categorize cash receive in refinance- bookkeeping

Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 18 votes

I've got a commercial property we just refinanced, held in an LLC. Part of the result of the refinance was extra cash. My questions seems simple but it is just evading me. As I am entering the transaction in my bookkeeping software I can't figure out how to categorize the cash deposited back into my checking account, it sure doesn't seem like income to me... Thanks for your input.

0Reply
117 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    10y

    One side of the entry would be positive to bank account the other would be increasing the liability. In quick books it would be a journal entry. You may be able to enter it directly as the liability account in the deposit. I usually run a p/l report before making the entry to make sure the income doesn't go up because I seem to always enter it backwards when I try to reason it out. Does that work?

  • Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 18 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ed Emmons:

    One side of the entry would be positive to bank account the other would be increasing the liability. 

    I knew I was making it overly complicated.  It is always nice to just have someone spell it out for you... thanks.

  • Professional · Riverside, CA · Member since 2009 · 254 posts · 273 votes
    10y

    Journal entry:

    DEBIT: Cash, old loan

    CREDIT: New loan

    In the Statement of Cash flow, this is going to be cash from financing activities, and not operating activities (operating activities comes from your actual business)

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    The above keeps the refi on the books.

    Another  approach for a Cash-out refi is

    • DB checking account
    • CR Owner Distribution

    the refi is off the books and you can reinvest, go to Rome, do whatever ...

  • Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
    4y

    @Daniel Chang & @Jeff B. So which would be the correct option for a journal entry? & how would it be for each of the financial reports: P&L, BS &  Statement of cash flows?

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jeff B.:

    The above keeps the refi on the books.

    Another  approach for a Cash-out refi is

    • DB checking account
    • CR Owner Distribution

    the refi is off the books and you can reinvest, go to Rome, do whatever ...


     If you credit the Owner Distribution, won't this effect the owner come tax time?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Increase in Cash

    Increase in Loan Payable

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.