Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Chase
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
Another Depreciation Recapture Question

Shawn Chase
  • Chandler, AZ
Posted Nov 12 2016, 16:37

I have been reading about depreciation recapture and understand it pretty well.  However, there is one question I cant seem to find an answer to.  

Upon sale of a rental property I find that I have a capital loss.  However, my depreciation recapture calculations show a gain.  I realize I need to pay the 25% tax.  Now I am at my question.  Am I allowed to reduce my depreciation recapture tax owed by my capital loss and/or any passive loss carryover from previous years?  

For instance, the original purchase price of the property plus closing costs and improvement costs = $100,000 (Adjusted Base).  I sell the property for $90,000 (minus closing costs) Amount Realized....so I have a capital loss of $10,000.  I also have passive loss carryover from previous years of $2,000

Now calculating depreciation recapture.  my adjusted base is $100,000 and my depreciation is $30,000 so my Adjusted Cost Basis is $70,000.  Subtracting the Adjusted Cost Basis from the Amount Realized I have a gain of $30,000.  When I apply the 25% tax I show a tax of $7,500 that needs to be paid.  

Can I use the $10,000 capital loss and/or the $2,000 to offset the $7,500 that I owe so I do not need to pay anything.  Further, can I use any loss left over to offset any personal taxes owed?  I cannot claim to be a realestate professional so have not been able to offset personal taxes in the past.  

Thanks for your advise 

Loading replies...