Need help posting purchase of rental property to Quickbooks

Need help posting purchase of rental property to Quickbooks

Spring, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi there...I'm a newbie and I need HELP!! Can someone please tell me what the J/E would be for the attached Settlement Statement? This property is in a LLC, but we paid for it personally, so do I first need to include an entry that debits Cash for $74,092.10 and credits Contribution to Owner's Equity?? Thanks SO much!!!! :-)

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 10 votes
9y
First, I would suggest that you contact your CPA/tax professional and find out what their preference is on how much detail that you need on your books for these transactions. My CPA really prefers it pretty simple: contract price, adjustments (fees), earnest money, cash downpayment, and loan. Then you need to make sure your line items equal. So your contract price, and fees should equal the EM, downpayment and loan. I also would have normally placed our EM in an asset holding account when we sent it with the contract. In QB I would normally create a fixed asset account for the property. Then 2 sub-accounts for the price and adjustments each. (Just helps sanity to keep them separate) You also need a liability account for the loan. Debit price from asset account Debit fees from asset account Credit earnest money from asset account Credit downpayment from owners contribution Credit loan amount to liability account The totals of both sides should match.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    You need to get the property tax assessment to determine the value of the land - - land never depreciates.

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Yes, I have that.  It's $44,810.  :-)

  • Flipper · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    First, I would suggest that you contact your CPA/tax professional and find out what their preference is on how much detail that you need on your books for these transactions. My CPA really prefers it pretty simple: contract price, adjustments (fees), earnest money, cash downpayment, and loan. Then you need to make sure your line items equal. So your contract price, and fees should equal the EM, downpayment and loan. I also would have normally placed our EM in an asset holding account when we sent it with the contract. In QB I would normally create a fixed asset account for the property. Then 2 sub-accounts for the price and adjustments each. (Just helps sanity to keep them separate) You also need a liability account for the loan. Debit price from asset account Debit fees from asset account Credit earnest money from asset account Credit downpayment from owners contribution Credit loan amount to liability account The totals of both sides should match.
  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    Wish my phone could enlarge your HUD Statement so I can tead the numbers, but it can't, so I cannot advise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.