• Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Votes |
"Property Manager" Dispute

Oliver Posewitz
  • Investor
  • Norfolk, VA
Posted Jul 11 2017, 03:30

So when I first acquired my property, I had a guy that I met that helped me get it rent ready.  He offered to manage it, said he's been doing it for years, so I agreed.  Soon after, he got a tenant who put 6k down and moved him in, that's when the issues arose.  Apparently this so-called landlord was nothing more than a helper of the previous owner.  He didn't have anything like a lease, office, or printer.  Then he wanted me to supply all those things, so I told him I was going with another manager.  He said okay, but I'm keeping the 10% of the rent I collected.  So I was forced to have him manage for those five months the renter paid for, and towards the end of his term I found out he had collected about 2k more from the tenant!  He is now dodging my calls and saying I never refuted the agreement on the lease, which I did but over a phone call when I fired him.  I really don't want to get a lawyer as the money I would spend would truly make it less worth it.  Anyone have experience taking someone to court for something like this?  I have no experience with the legal process of small claims.  Thanks!

Loading replies...