Wholesaling and taxes

3 Replies

Hey all, I’m working on wholesaling right now and to be honest I don’t know much about taxes. I’ve only had to do my taxes once or twice and only through turbotax and such. Is there a certain percentage of my wholesaling profits I should expect to pay for taxes?

Wholesaling is subject to ordinary income tax rates. Under current tax law, the highest marginal tax rate for ordinary income is 37%. Wholesalers are also generally subject to self-employment tax, although there are strategies to minimize these taxes.

@Carter Bushman

If your wholesaling income is high enough, you might want to consider electing to be taxed as an S-corp. You could potentially see major savings by doing so. There are some admin hurdles to cross, but it may be well worth it. Consult with your CPA to see if it makes sense for your particular situation.

@Carter Bushman

The classic strategy of reducing SE taxes (Social Security and Medicare) by restructuring as an S-corp and starting to pay yourself W2 salary, as implied by @Daniel Hyman , is significantly undermined by the new tax reform. It can still be beneficial, but much less than before.

Discuss it with your tax person, assuming that he/she understands the new law.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here