Real Estate CPA With A Personal Touch

5 Replies

My wife and I need a CPA with real estate expertise. We have explored a few options, but we haven't found a good fit yet. We currently have 18 units, so we need someone for whom that is not too small a number to be bothered. There are a few other complications with our tax situation (business ownership, equity compensation, etc.), so general expertise would be appreciated. Does anyone have any good recommendations? 

@Renard Miller

A few follow up questions that might help you find a great fit here on BiggerPockets:

1) Are you solely a buy & hold investor?

2) You say some others you have talked to haven't been a "good fit". What are you looking for in your tax advisor?

3) Are you open to working with someone remotely if they are a Real Estate savvy CPA/accountant?

Originally posted by @Renard Miller :

My wife and I need a CPA with real estate expertise. We have explored a few options, but we haven't found a good fit yet. We currently have 18 units, so we need someone for whom that is not too small a number to be bothered. There are a few other complications with our tax situation (business ownership, equity compensation, etc.), so general expertise would be appreciated. Does anyone have any good recommendations? 

I don't know what CPAs are still taking new clients for this year, but I can highly recommend @Daniel Hyman and his firm 

My Online Accountant, LLC

I also know a great CPA based out of Baltimore, and another in D.C., not far from you. If you would like contact info please PM me.

Originally posted by @Alan Rohrer :

@Renard Miller

A few follow up questions that might help you find a great fit here on BiggerPockets:

1) Are you solely a buy & hold investor?

2) You say some others you have talked to haven't been a "good fit". What are you looking for in your tax advisor?

3) Are you open to working with someone remotely if they are a Real Estate savvy CPA/accountant?

1. Yes, solely buy and hold. 

2. Just looking for something more personal than the option we started with. Starting with a phone call instead of a web form, for instance. 

3. Definitely open to working with someone remotely. Currently in the DC area, but relocating to California in the new future. All of the rental units are in Hampton Roads, VA.

@Renard Miller

In today's environment, personal touching is frowned upon. ;)

What @Alan Rohrer hinted at is the fact that most of us real estate accountants work remotely and nationwide. With current technology, there is no need for face-to-face. So, you can choose from 20+ real estate experts on this board.

As to a phone call, everyone's policy is different. Expecting the company owner to talk to every prospective client is not always realistic, especially right now, during the peak of the tax season. In my firm, for example, my tax services manager is calling our new clients if they request a phone call. But we do start with a web form, which includes an optional request for a phone call.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here