Squatter’s Rights in PA

Squatter’s Rights in PA

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 119 votes
Has anyone evicted a “squatter” in PA? And what defines a squatter? I have a client who wants to buy a house thats up for sheriff sale that has a squatter, whom the neighbor says has been there for about 2-3 weeks, saId he broke in through the back window and changed the locks. Does said squatter have rights yet (or would they have them by the time the property closes) and therefore would need to be evicted if my client took possession of the house? The only thing I could find running an online search said “Adverse Possesion” requires 21 years of occupancy, but I’ve heard horror stories of people having to evict squatters after only a few months.
0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    You're mixing things up.

    Anyone occupying the home, whether they have a written lease or not, needs to be evicted through the legal process. You could claim they are squatters but they can claim they've lived their for ten years. How would anyone know the truth? You'll have to prove your case through the legal system.

    Here's a good article for PA that should help explain it while saving me some typing.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Attorney · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Megan Hirlehey

    @Nathan Gesner gave a link to a good article. It's a fine line between a trespasser versus a squatter. Not to be cynical but it also depends on the relationship with law enforcement you have and local politics. For example, if I called the police department in my area and told me that someone broke into my property, they would probably treat them as a trespasser and remove the person from the property. But that's based on my existing relationship. It's unclear whether that would be the case in bigger cities like Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. 

    Adverse possession is a different issue. 

    So the somewhat interesting thing about all this is that it's theoretically easier to kick a tenant out than a squatter. One requires a simple eviction action; the other most likely requires an ejectment/trespass action. 

    Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.