Quickbooks Online Usage Limits - Help need alternative

21 Replies

I'm over the new QBO usage limits due to depreciable assets. Is anyone in the same boat and if so what are you doing about it? I have 4 QBO accounts so the idea of paying $150x4/month for the new "Advanced" QBO account is not justifiable. I really prefer to stay cloud based. I thought of going to desktop, but if I did I would like to host it somehow. I don't like the idea of all my business data solely on my laptop. I just feel very stuck and frustrated that Intuit won't even us to year end before they cut us off. What alternatives should I pursue? 

@Emily Di

I use “summit hosting” for my different businesses and pay only one fee of $75/month (for as many businesses as We want-we use 7) . It allows us to have the different businesses however it is more like an online version of the desktop QBs version. It does save the $150/account and has worked for the past year most of the time. 

Thank you @Carl Fischer. I will look into Summit. @Michael Plaks I am over the new limit of 250 Accounts due to depreciable asset accounts. Each unit rehab adds about 10 assets, for which QBO creates a main account, accumulated depreciation account and original price account for. So easily one single unit = 30 accounts. I can fix this by cleaning up those fully depreciated and by just doing broad balance sheet categories in quickbooks (ie - all Land instead of the Land broken out per property). But the entire reason I came to quickbooks was to have more granularity. So that is why I wondered about a software for asset tracking. When I search the web it brings up ones more geared to companies tracking their tech purchases, etc. 

@Brent Paul I did try Xero before I went to QBO but at the time they didn't have enough tracking categories which is how we organize properties. Maybe that's changed or maybe there is another way to track per property. I'll check back into it or would love to hear ideas. 

Xero has an add on called Re-Leased. It is a full property management program that integrates and there is no limit to the number of tracking categories.  Xero also has a fixed asset manager unlike QBO.  I will pick Xero over QB any day. 

Originally posted by @Emily Di :

Thank you @Carl Fischer. I will look into Summit. @Michael Plaks I am over the new limit of 250 Accounts due to depreciable asset accounts. Each unit rehab adds about 10 assets, for which QBO creates a main account, accumulated depreciation account and original price account for. So easily one single unit = 30 accounts. I can fix this by cleaning up those fully depreciated and by just doing broad balance sheet categories in quickbooks (ie - all Land instead of the Land broken out per property). But the entire reason I came to quickbooks was to have more granularity. So that is why I wondered about a software for asset tracking. When I search the web it brings up ones more geared to companies tracking their tech purchases, etc. 

I see what you're saying You are making life far more complicated than is necessary.  Chances are you are breaking things out far more than needed. I'd recommend that you look at Xero as I mentioned above. If anyone wants a 30 day trial. I'm happy to set them up on it as I'm heavily divested into their partner program. 

@Emily Di

You do not need separate accounts for separate assets. Instead of creating new accounts, assets should use the same accounts but be separated by Classes - which is a feature of the Plus version of QBO, not Advanced. The Plus version also has Locations feature which can be customized as Businesses, allowing you to use one QBO Plus account for all 4 LLCs - if you created 4 separate QBO accounts for 4 LLCs. So basically one Plus version at $70/mo should do the job.

Xero is an excellent software, except for their insane tech support model (that they refuse to reconsider, despite years-long customer complaints): you cannot call and talk to support. You have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back - which is unacceptable for most people I know, including myself. No idea how @Steven Hamilton II deals with it.

I started with QBO, but got tired of the monthly payment. I purchased the standard QuickBooks software and haven’t looked back. The one-time payment is nice, I’ll upgrade every 3-4 years, and it has all the features I need.

I’d definitely look into it!

Originally posted by @Mike McCarthy :

I started with QBO, but got tired of the monthly payment. I purchased the standard QuickBooks software and haven’t looked back. The one-time payment is nice, I’ll upgrade every 3-4 years, and it has all the features I need.

I’d definitely look into it!

 QB is pushing away from desktop, hard. Just be aware that one day you may be forced over to the QBO

Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij :
  QB is pushing away from desktop, hard. Just be aware that one day you may be forced over to the QBO

Oh that's not good news! I guess I really should bite the bullet and upgrade now. I've been using QB99 since 1999 and I like it. If it stops working and my only choice is QBO, I'll simply quit using QuickBooks. I'll go back to keeping records by hand before I use an online service. 

@Emily Di It looks like your problem is just a matter of consolidating and re-organizing your chart of accounts. as Michael mentioned, if you are using Plus version then you will need the Class feature (it needs to be activated in the settings) and create class for each property. You will still have the granularity by tracking each property horizontally instead of vertically. So when you wanted to see your fixed assets by property, just run a balance sheet grouped by Class and you will see the land cost with each property having its own column. 

@Emily Di I use Wave Accounting and have had a good experience thus far. It’s intuitive and user friendly. Customer service is quick with live chat options. Best of all, it’s free cloud accounting software.

Thanks @Michael Plaks and @Dan V. I am starting to reorganise the CoA. I do use classes. I wasn't using locations, but I checked into this after Michaels post. Unfortunately Plus is limited to 40 classes and locations combined. So I wouldn't be able to put the LLC's into one account because I have more units than this between them. I only wish there were some sort of bulk edit to the chart of accounts. I appreciate everyone's help. In the meantime I may also revisit Xero and check out Wave. It's a lot of effort to reorganize a CoA so this might be time to change platforms. I don't want to be stuck doing something like this again should QBO get the whim to limit # of allowed classes. As much as I love the software, they really lost my trust with this move.

Originally posted by @Michael Plaks :

@Emily Di

You do not need separate accounts for separate assets. Instead of creating new accounts, assets should use the same accounts but be separated by Classes - which is a feature of the Plus version of QBO, not Advanced. The Plus version also has Locations feature which can be customized as Businesses, allowing you to use one QBO Plus account for all 4 LLCs - if you created 4 separate QBO accounts for 4 LLCs. So basically one Plus version at $70/mo should do the job.

Xero is an excellent software, except for their insane tech support model (that they refuse to reconsider, despite years-long customer complaints): you cannot call and talk to support. You have to leave a message and wait for them to call you back - which is unacceptable for most people I know, including myself. No idea  how @Steven Hamilton II deals with it.

 I've only ever needed support once. And in 4+ years that was last week when I broke something on an extremely complicated multi-currency situation Unlike the cluster that is QBO. They are cheaper and easier for the client to use. Most of my clients handle their own books and love it because it is easier to use. It also actually has a fixed asset manager... Unlike QBO.

Originally posted by @Steven Hamilton II :

I've only ever needed support once. And in 4+ years that was last week when I broke something on an extremely complicated multi-currency situation Unlike the cluster that is QBO. They are cheaper and easier for the client to use. Most of my clients handle their own books and love it because it is easier to use. It also actually has a fixed asset manager... Unlike QBO.

Like I said - feature-wise, Xero is excellent, no debate here. But my clients are constantly on the move, and if they need support, they need it now, and they cannot sit and wait for an unspecified time for a call-back. In which case they will get upset with me, not with Xero. And that's a deal-breaker for me.

Thank you all for the great tips. It was work, but I did consolidate the depreciable assets into 27.5, 5 year, 7 and 15 and then used the classes to ID them and pull reports. So for now I am good until the next change. 

You can also just use excel (or numbers,etc) and list all your assets there and just keep the totals in QB 

QuickBooks Desktop is not going anywhere. Where ever you got that info is wrong.

Let us talk about hitting that limit. First of all, you have to restructure and reorganize your setup and chart of accounts. Here are two tips to get you started:

1. Chart of Accounts: Account names are limited to 250. Never use property, improvement details and loan name as an account. Inactivate the accounts you do not use.

2. Classes aka Property: Class names are limited to 40. Use Classes for property and inactivate the property that are sold.

Location and Class are combined and limited to 40.

3. Bonus: Location - do not use it. When you enter a transaction you can use only one location. Say for example you paid your contractor $10,000 for 2 properties on one check. You can split the amount into two Properties - Class in one transaction. But can only use one Location. 

QuickBooks is so powerful, setting it up right the first time will save you time and money. It is a financial reporting powerhouse. Sometimes it is better to pay for the next level where you have unlimited accounts and classes.

Tag me if you have any additional questions.

BTW there are hosting companies that charge by the user appx $45/month/user. SO it is advantages to use the QuickBooks Online. If you have multiple companies, you may be eligible for discounts.