Learning about syndication

25 Replies

Hi @Scott Shrider . There is a great syndication event put on by The Real Estate Guys (guests on BP Podcast this past summer).  Their next event is in late March 2020. There is also a book by attorney, Gene Trowbridge, on this topic. Make sure you get the latest edition.  Then there are mentoring programs like the one I went through with 37th Parallel. They can be pricey but worth it. 

What are you looking to syndicate?  

@Paul Moore

Thank you Paul!

I have been going thru different podcasts and looking online. I have recently come across RE guys thro looking into senior living education. Thank u!!

I am developing my focus from a desire to work in the senior living market (asset class). I do also have interest in developing into apartments...related or unrelated to senior living.

Originally posted by @Paul Moore :

Hi @Scott Shrider . There is a great syndication event put on by The Real Estate Guys (guests on BP Podcast this past summer).  Their next event is in late March 2020. There is also a book by attorney, Gene Trowbridge, on this topic. Make sure you get the latest edition.  Then there are mentoring programs like the one I went through with 37th Parallel. They can be pricey but worth it. 

What are you looking to syndicate?  

Thanks for that recommendation. I've never heard of them.

Originally posted by @Scott Shrider :

What source have u guys found to be the best for learning about setting up and executing syndications?

There are quite a few education based syndicators.

Rod Khleif

Brad Sumrok

The Lindahl Group

Joe Fairless

Jake and Gino

etc.

Just about all of them have podcasts.

The go to book on Syndications was written by Joe Fairless.

We've invested in 5 deals as an LP and 1 deal as a GP in 2019.

Originally posted by @Scott Shrider :

@Frank Patalano

Thank you!

I just recently seen joe fairless on YouTube videos.

I will look up the others also.. your input is appreciated!

I am researching upcoming events..conventions, seminars etc. Looks like a few r coming between now and march

Well you'll probably see me at a few.

I have a discount code for Rod for his January events. We just recorded him for our podcast.

best ever is in February.

I'll be at a conference in the Carolinas in March.

ultimate partnering is in July or August

raising money Summit is in October

there are others. We can't make all of them.

Principles of Real Estate Syndication by Samuel Freshman is really good

Also it’s a Whole New Business by Gene Trowbridge 

The Northstar Real Estate Conference in April in Minneapolis will have quite a few speakers talking about syndication 

@Scott Shrider

While you already got a ton of great feedback on the books, events and podcasts on syndication, ALF and/or MC, and Healthcare in general is a unique asset class and requires an operator to work on the business and be involved. Not sure if you have experience with it, but I'd consider educating yourself on the space as well and checking out the requirements for your state of choice to install or buy such facilitates. 

Hey Scott, I usually watch the videos from Commercial Property Advisors on Youtube and they are a goldmine of free information. The gentleman that does the videos does little charts for the viewers to see that is pretty helpful. 

Gathering information from different experts is what's probably best. 

Many great answers here already and I would agree with all of them. I would also add investing in deals passively is a great way to learn. I went through most of the above steps (reading books, conferences, podcasts, YouTube videos, hiring mentors, etc) and learned a few additional things by making my first passive investment. 

The experience of being an investor is valuable because you can find out what you like and don't like about the process. Additionally, the sponsor may be willing to talk with you a bit more about their business (i.e. free-ish mentoring)

Fundamentals to learning the syndication process:

• Read books
  • Listen to podcasts
  • Attend conferences
  • Invest passively in a deal (learn the process of vetting the sponsors is highly important in this step)
  • Hire a mentor
  • Implement what you learned in baby steps but have a plan

Hope this helps and happy investing!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here