How to test your CPA's technical competence

How to test your CPA's technical competence

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes

One of the most common frustrations when choosing a real estate savvy CPA is not knowing how to tell whether he knows his stuff. Here're some sample questions to test his technical competence, in any order:

  1. We're making $200k in salaries between myself and my spouse. Can we reduce our taxes with tax write-offs from rental properties? (Answer: no)
  2. If we hold a rental property for 5 years and it doubles in value, is there any way to not pay capital gains taxes when we sell? (Answer: yes)
  3. If we buy fixer-uppers to rebuild and sell, and construction takes more than one year - will our profit be taxed as long-term capital gain? (Answer: no)
  4. Can we lend our IRA money to other real estate investors? (Answer: yes)
  5. We both have full-time jobs. Can we qualify as "real estate professionals" if one of us obtains a Realtor license? (Answer: no)
  6. If we buy new appliances for our rental property, can we deduct the full cost of appliances right away? (Answer: yes)
  7. If I had a rental property for 3 years and never claimed depreciation, can I fix this mistake by filing amended tax returns for the last 3 years? (Answer: no)
  8. Can I deduct 100% of the property taxes on my rental properties if they are higher than the new tax law limit of $10,000? (Answer: yes)
  9. If I own my rental property free and clear, and I then get a mortgage against this rental and use the money to buy a boat - can I deduct interest on this mortgage? (Answer: no)
  10. If I convert my old house into a rental for 2 years, and then I move back and live in the house myself for 2 more years, do I have to pay any taxes when I sell it? (Answer: yes)

Of course, the answers above have some exceptions, like almost any question. But then the CPA should say something like: usually yes (or no), except in some special cases.

13Reply
213 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

My favorite !!!!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plaks:

    One of the most common frustrations when choosing a real estate savvy CPA is not knowing how to tell whether he knows his stuff. Here're some sample questions to test his technical competence, in any order:

    1. We're making $200k in salaries between myself and my spouse. Can we reduce our taxes with tax write-offs from rental properties? (Answer: no)
    2. If we hold a rental property for 5 years and it doubles in value, is there any way to not pay capital gains taxes when we sell? (Answer: yes)
    3. If we buy fixer-uppers to rebuild and sell, and construction takes more than one year - will our profit be taxed as long-term capital gain? (Answer: no)
    4. Can we lend our IRA money to other real estate investors? (Answer: yes)
    5. We both have full-time jobs. Can we qualify as "real estate professionals" if one of us obtains a Realtor license? (Answer: no)
    6. If we buy new appliances for our rental property, can we deduct the full cost of appliances right away? (Answer: yes)
    7. If I had a rental property for 3 years and never claimed depreciation, can I fix this mistake by filing amended tax returns for the last 3 years? (Answer: no)
    8. Can I deduct 100% of the property taxes on my rental properties if they are higher than the new tax law limit of $10,000? (Answer: yes)
    9. If I own my rental property free and clear, and I then get a mortgage against this rental and use the money to buy a boat - can I deduct interest on this mortgage? (Answer: no)
    10. If I convert my old house into a rental for 2 years, and then I move back and live in the house myself for 2 more years, do I have to pay any taxes when I sell it? (Answer: yes)

    Of course, the answers above have some exceptions, like almost any question. But then the CPA should say something like: usually yes (or no), except in some special cases.

     Good stuff. And these are the easy questions.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    OP
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    You're welcome to add yours :) 

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plaks:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    You're welcome to add yours :) 

    Well sure. I don't do anything fancy, but I had a heckova time finding a CPA that could follow what I do

    I buy using Subject To and Land Contracts and I do a Sandwhich Lease Option depending on the property and the state and I sell to Tenant Buyers on a Lease Option (or Land Contract if Texas). The Tenant Buyers give me a generous non-refundable Option Fee ($20,000+-) and I cash flow the properties. I don't have Cap EX since they maintain the properties. I enjoy the tax write offs, depreciation and principal pay down.

    Some of the properties I sell as Turnkeys to out of state (California) investors who sometimes use CA LLCs while other properties enter my personal inventory until there is sufficient equity to do a refinance and pull the equity out.

    Occasionally a Tenant Buyer exercises their Option and I use the proceeds to purchase another couple of properties or travel depending on my mood. Occasionally I'll find a property that has enough equity but needs to be rehabbed and I assign it to a fellow investor for cash or I take it on myself as a rehab project if it looks like a super deal.

    Occasionally I'll have a Tenant Buyer choose not to complete their Option Agreement and I wind up reselling to another Tenant Buyer for the same Option fee and same cash flow or Selling as a Turnkey like the two that have just become available.

    Sometimes I do training for a yearly fee and other times I do a Joint Venture depending on the student and the state. Ownership ratio is determined based on the goals of the student and the likelihood of future projects together.

    Most, but not all of the properties are long term and will pass onto my kids on a stepped up tax basis.
    I know that is all pretty general information but just finding a CPA who doesn't glaze over as I explain what I do was a challenge.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    OP
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed

    I invited you to add some good test questions. Instead, you described your investment approach and complained about difficulty of finding a knowledgeable RE accountant. 

    I'm not sure where you were looking, but this forum features 20+ of tax experts, including myself, who speak real estate fluently. Any of us could help you, I believe. Glad to hear that you did find one.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Plaks:

    @Account Closed

    I invited you to add some good test questions. Instead, you described your investment approach and complained about difficulty of finding a knowledgeable RE accountant. 

    I'm not sure where you were looking, but this forum features 20+ of tax experts, including myself, who speak real estate fluently. Any of us could help you, I believe. Glad to hear that you did find one.

     Relax. I'm agreeing with you. I'm trying to keep the thread going for you. This isn't the kind of subject most investors are salivating to understand. No offense intended.

    Also, most people have no clue what the difference between an EA (Enrolled Agent) and a CPA is. perhaps you could explain in your own words where an Enrolled Agent makes sense over relying on even a very competent CPA. I've used EAs and found that to be a better choice than a CPA for certain aspects of investing. Successful investors need to know why.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    OP
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Also, most people have no clue what the difference between an EA (Enrolled Agent) and a CPA is. perhaps you could explain in your own words where an Enrolled Agent makes sense over relying on even a very competent CPA. I've used EAs and found that to be a better choice than a CPA for certain aspects of investing. Successful investors need to know why.

    Actually, I am fairly relaxed. This may be one of the advantages of being an EA vs. a CPA. :)  

    It might be received better if you explain the difference, because for me to do it would be, well, self-serving. Thanks in advance!

    That said, I don't see the designation distinction to be all that important. There're excellent professionals (as well as the other kind) with either designation and even without any. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dana Point, CA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    Interesting post.  I follow all of these except for #7.  If I had a rental property for 3 years and never claimed depreciation, why could I not fix this mistake by filing amended tax returns for the last 3 years?  I don't have this issue but am curious to better understand.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    OP
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joaquin K.:

    Interesting post.  I follow all of these except for #7.  If I had a rental property for 3 years and never claimed depreciation, why could I not fix this mistake by filing amended tax returns for the last 3 years?  I don't have this issue but am curious to better understand.

    Because after 2 years of incorrect or missing depreciation, correcting it becomes "a change of accounting method" and requires a different procedure to fix: Form 3115.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    My favorite !!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    From a couple of recent personal experiences.

    A New compnay advised by their CPA to go LLC for CEO & wife, with 8 W-2 employees. They co-mingled finances & @ yr end their CPA reported that they had a >$200k tax due on 'Earned Income'. They fired him (picked by the CEO's wife against CFO advice) & the new CPA (again picked by the wife) then informed them he takes the month of Dec OFF.

    Elderly couple (neighbors) advised by CPA/Fin Advisor to help son pay down new-build cost to qualify for contruction loan. They were adadvised to literally cashed out $80k from their qualified 401k with their CPA holding back 10%, but it subsequently threw them into a much higher tax bracket & they owed another $11k. Son took the cash to bank, but without a Form 790 it bounced back as a taxable as it appeared that the 'loan' was income. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 133 posts · 60 votes
    8mo

    Hey Michael,

    Just to clarify on point #10

    "If I convert my old house into a rental for 2 years, and then I move back and live in the house myself for 2 more years, do I have to pay any taxes when I sell it? (Answer: yes)"

    Do you mean "yes" to only the depreciation recapture from it being a rental; and the remaining gain being excluded under the limits of section 121 tax code?

      • Michael PlaksPro Member
        OP
        Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
        8mo
        Quote from @AJ Satcher:

        Hey Michael,

        Just to clarify on point #10

        "If I convert my old house into a rental for 2 years, and then I move back and live in the house myself for 2 more years, do I have to pay any taxes when I sell it? (Answer: yes)"

        Do you mean "yes" to only the depreciation recapture from it being a rental; and the remaining gain being excluded under the limits of section 121 tax code?

          Not only depreciation recapture. You will also have to pro-rate your exclusion due to a period of "non-qualified use."

          Moving back is what destroys the plan.
      • Dr · VA · Member since 2025 · 154 posts · 34 votes
        8mo

        I would say, each situation is unique and requires expertise, if the person is tax professional!

      • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
        Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
        8mo

        Excellent summary, Michael. Regarding #7, missed depreciation, including accelerated write-offs from a retrospective cost segregation study, can indeed be claimed in the current year via Form 3115, often without amending prior returns. This is a critical point for many investors.
        Form 3115 lets you catch up all missed depreciation in ONE year.

        That catch-up adjustment is called a §481(a) adjustment. 

        IRS allows:

          • - One-time depreciation “catch-up.”

          • - Without amending prior returns

        Lastly, the entire missed amount hits this year’s tax return.

        Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
        • Michael PlaksPro Member
          OP
          Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
          8mo
          Quote from @Sean Graham:

          Excellent summary, Michael. Regarding #7, missed depreciation, including accelerated write-offs from a retrospective cost segregation study, can indeed be claimed in the current year via Form 3115, often without amending prior returns. This is a critical point for many investors.
          Form 3115 lets you catch up all missed depreciation in ONE year.

          That catch-up adjustment is called a §481(a) adjustment. 

          IRS allows:

            • - One-time depreciation “catch-up.”

            • - Without amending prior returns

          Lastly, the entire missed amount hits this year’s tax return.

          My question intentionally referred to amending old tax returns, and the answer would be no. This is a good, if a little sneaky, test of professional competence in the real estate niche.

          Yes, you described the correct solution to missed depreciation.

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.