Pro Member
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
qualifying for a solo 401K?

Russell Roberts
Pro Member
  • Clarksville, TN
Posted Feb 19 2020, 10:37

I have a group 401K plan at my W-2 employer. I have an unexpected opportunity to transfer funds out of 401K plan while I'm still employed. Yeah! I'd like to transfer funds to a self directed retirement plan and invest largely in real estate syndications which take advantage of debt leveraging. I know a self directed IRA would be subject to UDFI, so I"m interested in solo 401k instead, which is exempt from UDFI.

I don't currently have self employment income, which I need to qualify for solo 401K. However, I'm a major volunteer of Information Technology professional services to a local non-profit Christian school for the last 13 years. I volunteer for mission, not $, and have likely saved organization >$100,000 over that time.

Finally to my question: How much $ do I need to make to legitimately qualify for creating a solo 401K as the destination for the transferred retirement funds? If I billed the non-profit a nominal amount of say $150 per quarter and received an annual 1099 for $600 of services, would that satisfy a solo 401k IRS auditor's scrutiny?

Loading replies...