Tenant lied on application

3 Replies

I received an offer from a prospective tenant to pay an entire year's lease up front. This seemed like a good offer to me, so I had basically decided I would rent to this tenant (before I had checked her background). I was, however, uncomfortable with the fact that she was unable to provide proof of income/employment, but dismissed this as she "claimed" to be a self-employed model.

As I started checking into her background, however, it seems that she falsely represented her occupation on the application. On her application, she stated she is a model...however after digging deeper, I discovered that she is actually an exotic dancer.

I don't feel entirely comfortable renting to her based on this new information. Not only did she fail to disclose her true occupation, but I'm concerned about the type of personal lifestyle she might lead and what might occur in the confines my property.

Based on the above, what would you advise? Should the fact that she wants to pay the whole year in advance be enough to counter my concerns that she lied about her occupation? Assuming her credit report is okay, is my discomfort with the entire situation grounds to deny her application? ...Or am I being discriminatory?

Originally posted by "mitchell99n1":

As I started checking into her background, however, it seems that she falsely represented her occupation on the application. On her application, she stated she is a model...however after digging deeper, I discovered that she is actually an exotic dancer.

You actually have grounds to reject an application, especially if the applicant lied on the application.

You can find many of the applicable laws at: http://www.biggerpockets.com/legalgovrecords.html

Take a look at the Federal Fair Housing Acts (42 U.S. Code §§ 3601-3619) so you can see where you stand on the discrimination issue: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode42/usc_sec_42_00003604----000-.html

I have a friend who rented his condo to an exotic dancer. Late one night he got a phone call from the doorman of the building telling him that someone kicked his door in. Apparently, the dancer was not only dancing but doing other worse things. Her pimp apparently kicked the door in to get to her. He also recieved 1/2 year rent up front from her. . .

Some professions come with baggage. This woman seems like she might also.

This is ABSOLUTELY discrimination! You're discriminating based on employment and that is TOTALLY ILLEGAL!

What if she was a sewer worker? Would you say no because you'd worry that your house would get too smelly? For such people you could have got a legal Residential Lease Agreement form filled. I’ve got my form for my tenants from ezlandlordforms.com. You can also download the forms.

And-as for her not being honest-most exotic dancers are also models-so she's really not telling a lie.

Originally posted by "gregory99k2":
This is ABSOLUTELY discrimination! You're discriminating based on employment and that is TOTALLY ILLEGAL!

Read the federal law.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode42/usc_sec_42_00003604----000-.html
The law prohibits discriminating "based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin." It says nothing about employment.

Please show us where it states that you cannot discriminate based on employment. If you can find that I'm glad to know about it. I've seen that localities like Champaign, IL have human rights ordinances that prohibit discrimination based on the source of income of any individual, but I haven't seen anything like that in federal or state law.

As for the legality of it, I'm not a lawyer, but if an applicant lies on their application, that is usually the end of story. Talk to any real estate attorney about that.