Recommended Tax Attorney in SF/Bay Area/CA

5 Replies

HI BP,

I currently own property in different states in addition to having a combination of W2 income, stock options + RSUs. Not completely uncommon in the bay area.

Finding a tax attorney who has strong experience in all these areas(especially real estate) is important. Has anyone had any positive experiences with a professional they'd be willing to refer?

And open to hearing any or general or specific tax breaks or structures (of the legal kind of course) that you've put to practice?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Chang

@Andy C.

You don't need a tax attorney unless you plan to take the IRS to court. Then you need one. Otherwise, your needs will be well served be either a CPA or an EA (Enrolled Agent). 

There're 20+ of us here on the forum, all specializing in real estate tax strategies and working nationwide. But if you really want someone in your state, reach out to @Brian Schmelzlen , @Jana Cain and @Matt Ward .

Andy,

I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Originally posted by @Patrick J. :

@Michael Plaks

Do you have other accountants in your firm Michael since you are kind of famous, I can't imagine you deal with everything on your own.

I'm not the only accountant in my firm, but we cannot discuss it on this forum. Please contact me privately if interested. Thank you.