Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Classifieds
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
How do i find a DSCR lender in OHIO

George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Posted Nov 24 2022, 12:08

My partners and I are interested in purchasing our 2nd rental property somewhere in OHIO. Due to the fact that i have 2 rental properties already in MY name, I know going the traditional route wont work. (I bought a duplex with my partners and a SFH with my wife) I found a post on IG where you can get a DSCR loan. I'm interested in finding a lender that I can contact to see about qualifying and possibly purchasing another rental property some time in 2023. Any information would be helpful and grateful. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 24 2022, 19:58

Happy to connect you with mine 

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 24 2022, 20:01
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Happy to connect you with mine 

That would be great! Thank you

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Poeppelmeier
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:02

Talk to @Chris Wharton at First Ohio. He works with several clients of mine. If you're interested in the Toledo market, let's set up a time to talk. 

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:29
Quote from @Dave Poeppelmeier:

Talk to @Chris Wharton at First Ohio. He works with several clients of mine. If you're interested in the Toledo market, let's set up a time to talk. 

I believe I started following him. Thanks! I’m looking at Youngstown area

User Stats

Votes
Chris Wharton
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:50
Quote from @George Duchatelier:
Quote from @Dave Poeppelmeier:

I believe I started following him. Thanks! I’m looking at Youngstown area

User Stats

Votes
Chris Wharton
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Columbus, Oh
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:51

Let's connect. If you have two existing conventional loans it leads me to believe you could continue down that path. GSE max is 10 personally financed properties.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:58
Quote from @Chris Wharton:

Let's connect. If you have two existing conventional loans it leads me to believe you could continue down that path. GSE max is 10 personally financed properties.

Correct I have 2 properties. I’m looking for a dscr. That’s the only way, besides a hard money loan to try and scale. The goal is 2 more properties. One with my LLC group and one with my wife and I

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 25 2022, 06:59

My partners and I are interested in purchasing our 2nd rental property somewhere in OHIO. Due to the fact that i have 2 rental properties already in MY name, I know going the traditional route wont work. (I bought a duplex with my partners and a SFH with my wife) I found a post on IG where you can get a DSCR loan. I'm interested in finding a lender that I can contact to see about qualifying and possibly purchasing another rental property some time in 2023. Any information would be helpful and grateful. Thanks!

DSCR Loan seems like a good route for you! There is one small wrinkle in Ohio in that the loan amount needs to be at least around $100k for the DSCR lender to have a prepayment penalty which is key to getting lower rates on DSCR loans, so I would make sure its a property worth at least in the $150k+ range

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 07:02
Quote from @Robin Simon:

DSCR Loan seems like a good route for you! There is one small wrinkle in Ohio in that the loan amount needs to be at least around $100k for the DSCR lender to have a prepayment penalty which is key to getting lower rates on DSCR loans, so I would make sure its a property worth at least in the $150k+ range

I appreciate the info! The price range will definitely be higher than 100k or more because I want to be able to buy a triplex or quad if possible!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Kinsella
  • Lender
Votes |

@George Duchatelier Many HMLs have a rental or 'DSCR' product.

You can use BiggerPockets and follow: Network --> Hard Money Lenders --> Filter by state as a starting point.

It appears some of the posters above may have some good referrals as well.

I'm seeing rental product interest rates for SFRs in the 7's right now.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 10:35
Quote from @Michael Kinsella:

@George Duchatelier Many HMLs have a rental or 'DSCR' product.

You can use BiggerPockets and follow: Network --> Hard Money Lenders --> Filter by state as a starting point.

It appears some of the posters above may have some good referrals as well.

I'm seeing rental product interest rates for SFRs in the 7's right now.

Thanks for the info. Yes, high 7s have been told to me as well. Looking more so for multi family

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Salman
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 11:50

Hey, George!  We have plenty of options that are investor friendly.  I would love to connect and take a deeper look.

Best wishes!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 12:02
Quote from @Nicholas Salman:

Hey, George!  We have plenty of options that are investor friendly.  I would love to connect and take a deeper look.

Best wishes!

Thanks for reaching out. What options besides conventional loans can you offer?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Salman
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 25 2022, 12:05
Quote from @Nicholas Salman:

Best wishes!

Thanks for reaching out. What options besides conventional loans can you offer?

We offer plenty of investor options!  I'd be happy to get on a call so I don't solicit per BP guidelines

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 26 2022, 12:34

Hey George, 

I see that you are concerned about having your personal name on title. DSCR Loans are perfect for closing title under an LLC. Unfortunately, you will still have to use yourself, another member, or both to personally guarantee the loan.

Also be aware that many DSCR products have 3-5 year prepayment penalties. There are a few were you can buy down the prepay to 1 year, to save yourself from getting locked into a high interest rate loan for 3-5 years.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 26 2022, 12:36
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Hey George, 

I see that you are concerned about having your personal name on title. DSCR Loans are perfect for closing title under an LLC. Unfortunately, you will still have to use yourself, another member, or both to personally guarantee the loan.

Also be aware that many DSCR products have 3-5 year prepayment penalties. There are a few were you can buy down the prepay to 1 year, to save yourself from getting locked into a high interest rate loan for 3-5 years.

What do you mean by pre payment penalties? There’s an issue if I pay off the loan early?

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 26 2022, 12:45

Hey George, 

What do you mean by pre payment penalties? There’s an issue if I pay off the loan early?

Yes these loans carry Prepays. Typically a 5,4,3,2,1 step down prepayment penalty. Meaning if you paid off the loan the first year, it would be 5% of the loan amount, second year 4% of the loan amount, and so on. 

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 26 2022, 12:48

Hey George, 

Yes these loans carry Prepays. Typically a 5,4,3,2,1 step down prepayment penalty. Meaning if you paid off the loan the first year, it would be 5% of the loan amount, second year 4% of the loan amount, and so on. 

Oh ok. I figured it would be like any other loan where it takes the 30 years to pay off the loan. Since it’s a buy and hold property I’m trying to get

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 26 2022, 13:37

Hey George, 

Oh ok. I figured it would be like any other loan where it takes the 30 years to pay off the loan. Since it’s a buy and hold property I’m trying to get

It still is a 30 year loan that fully ammortizes. Is your goal to pay down the mortgage?

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 26 2022, 13:43

Hey George, 

It still is a 30 year loan that fully ammortizes. Is your goal to pay down the mortgage?

Correct. Have the tenants pay the mortgage for me through rents like my other properties

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 26 2022, 18:23

Hey George, 

Correct. Have the tenants pay the mortgage for me through rents like my other properties

Still possible with a DSCR.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Nov 26 2022, 18:23

Hey George, 

Still possible with a DSCR. Might have to put more down and buy down the rate so you can lower the mortgage payment. Interest rates are pretty high on these right now.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied Nov 27 2022, 06:00
We use Wayne Savings and Civista.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 06:01

I can send you some lender referrals Ohio.

User Stats

Votes
George Duchatelier
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Ohio
Replied Nov 28 2022, 06:28
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

I can send you some lender referrals Ohio.

I appreciate it! I’m going to go with the lender that took care of my 2nd house. I didn’t know he deals with dscr loans.