• West Hartford, CT
Votes |
Broker and Business Development

Jason Kushner
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Hartford, CT
Posted Feb 21 2017, 15:38

Dear Bigger Pockets Community,

I recently made a lengthy post to describe a unique career opportunity to join the Commercial Services Realty team. Instead of simply reposting, I wanted to follow up the last post by diving right into the opportunity we are excited to offer and then go into why I made the jump from the Corporate world to full-time in Real Estate. The opportunity is to join Commercial Services Realty as an Agent / Broker. Ideally, we are looking for individuals who have a passion for Real Estate and are ready to make the leap into the industry full-time or are already full-time in the industry and looking for huge exposure to a full transaction cycle with one-of-a-kind mentorship. We also want someone who is innovative, passionate, and collaborative with a strong sense of business development. You will have the opportunity to gain exposure to all our business capabilities; Brokerage, Management, Development, Constructions, and Consulting.

This opportunity is ideal for someone who:

Has decided that they view Real Estate as their personal means of reaching financial freedom: Not only have they made this decision, but they also have come to the realization that spending their days working a Corporate job or a job in any other field simply leaves them with less time to further their goals of reaching financial freedom in Real Estate. Let's face it, there is a very limited amount of time we get each day to further ourselves from a career perspective. To me, trying to pursue my passion of Real Estate "on the side" was something I quickly realized would heavily delay these dreams of financial freedom. Let's also take a step back for a minute and consider this. If you do have dreams of becoming financially free from Real Estate, you are most likely going to take the savings from this "other job" and invest them in Real Estate. The major problem is that your time and learnings are extremely limited by the fact your first obligation and priority cannot be both. Also, to be the best takes time and mentorship and we all certainly don't want to be an average or slightly above average Real Estate investor. It is in this sense that working full time in Real Estate cannot only replace and create additional wealth from commissions, but also allows you to immerse yourself in the business where you plan to become financially free.

Has have made the decision to immerse themselves full time in Real Estate and wants to maximize their ability to learn:I see this in 2 lights. The first being the type of Real Estate opportunity to pursue and the second being mentorship. People talk a lot about mentors and I have a different viewpoint then most. To me there are 2 types of mentors in Real Estate. The first type being someone who has had experience in the Real Estate industry, but is someone that is still climbing their success mountain. These types of mentorships are much more common and great, because often there are mutually beneficial outcomes to these relationships. I have several mentors like this and I have certainly learned an immense amount aboutthe industry. The second type of mentor what I call a "Mirror Mentor". A Mirror mentor is someone who you look at and say "I hope one day to be as successful and knowledgeable as Person X". These types of mentorship opportunities are few and far between because there are only so many ways to create value for someone in this position and only limited ways you can have regular interactions in a manner that can greatly accelerate your career progression. Or even better, find an opportunity to work alongside this individual in a capacity that gives you exposure to their day-to-day interactions and business transactions. Peter D'Addeo, the Principal of Commercial Services Realty is clearly someone who has enjoyed immense success in the industry and the opportunity we have will allow the individual to gain exposure to Peter and his success in the Brokerage, Management, Development, Construction, and Consulting business. Next, I will briefly touch on the types of Real Estate opportunities I have seen when breaking into the industry. Let's start with what I will group as salaried positions. These can vary greatly and outside of brokerage can offer some great exposure if you find the RIGHT role. Problem is outside of an acquisitions group with great leadership and mentorship, you will most likely be assigned one process or niche of the business to produce the same report, same analysis/research, same customer/client interactions, and thus you will have an extremely hard time gaining exposure to an entire transaction cycle. Next, we can look at the property management side. Certainly, there are merits to understanding this business, but fact is, without understanding a full transaction cycle you will not be maximizing your deal profitability, so by the time you get to managing your own assets, these will likely not be optimal assets. Another common segment is on the lending/credit side. I think this is something that is very helpful to understand and these connections are certainly useful, but once again if you do not understand the transaction cycle, you will not put yourself ina position to be financing an optimal deal. So, this brings me to Brokerage, which I feel outside of development is by far the best entry point into full-time Real Estate. Better yet, what if the opportunity allowed you to combine exposure from both development and brokerage?! Combining the both, you can see a full transaction cycle and understand the innerworkings of all phases. For example, you see a piece of raw land optioned and site plans developed, approved, executed, construction phase, brokering tenant leases, and property management or sale on the back end. Let's take just brokerage for example. EVERY interaction that you have with a tenant, client, or investor is a relationship that you will take with you for the rest of your career. You never know when the person you assist with finding an acquisitions target could be the individual funding your future development or partnering with you on a transaction. Real Estate is truly a relationship based business and what better way to break into the industry then being the individual on the front lines building relationships for both the future success of their current and future business.

If this opportunity sounds like the chance you have been waiting to break into the Real Estate Industry full-time, or you are looking for a new opportunity with this level of exposure and learning curve, I would love to speak with you in greater detail. Please email me at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Jason Kushner

Looking for