Does anyone here finance their real estate investments through a loan against their Whole Life Insurance policy via a Trust? If so, how long does it take to have enough Cash Value to 1.) Begin financing and 2.) Really be able to not worry about when you need a loan and be able to jump on opportunities as soon as you see them? Also, any recommendations on Mutual Life insurance Companies for beginners.
Thanks in Advance!
I'm an agent, but I do have a policy myself and I do use it for what I call "The Double Play": leveraging the cash value of a maximum over-funded policy to invest in real estate.
I see you've found the Paradigm Life thread. That is one of the oldest and most thorough threads here on BP. You'll get a full spectrum of perspectives, good and bad.
To answer your questions above, the cash value is a function of how much premium you are putting into a policy. In a properly designed, maximum over-funded life insurance policy, the ratio of cash value to premium should be about 85 to 90%. So if you make a $50,000 annual premium, you should have something more than $40,000 that you can immediately borrow against. However, if you are funding your policy with only $200 per month, it will take a while before you have a meaningful amount of cash value to do anything.
I am relatively new to this concept, but I have read the book, What Would the Rockefeller's Do? To be clear, when you recommend Maximum Over-Funded Life Insurance, you are referring to a policy with the most possible cash value and minimal death benefit, correct? In the book they mention a few different "Infinite Banking" concepts or ways to utilize the method, however one of the most talked about concepts was the idea that in a case where you didn't pay back the loan, it would just be deducted from the death benefit. So in a sense, wouldn't a larger death benefit allow the potential for access to a larger loan against the policy, that in turn allows for more real estate financing opportunities through the policy, even if it means it takes longer to accumulate the cash value?
Would also like to add that I am entirely aware this is a long-term investment/banking concept. By asking how long does it take and recommendations for beginners, I am by no means trying to insinuate any get rich quick schemes and wind up fooled by some shady sales agent w/ a policy I know nothing about.
I'm an agent, but I do have a policy myself and I do use it for what I call "The Double Play": leveraging the cash value of a maximum over-funded policy to invest in real estate.
I see you've found the Paradigm Life thread. That is one of the oldest and most thorough threads here on BP. You'll get a full spectrum of perspectives, good and bad.
To answer your questions above, the cash value is a function of how much premium you are putting into a policy. In a properly designed, maximum over-funded life insurance policy, the ratio of cash value to premium should be about 85 to 90%. So if you make a $50,000 annual premium, you should have something more than $40,000 that you can immediately borrow against. However, if you are funding your policy with only $200 per month, it will take a while before you have a meaningful amount of cash value to do anything.
I'm the $200 per month guy @Thomas Rutkowski mentioned. I started mine 20 years ago. I have borrowed against the cash value to fund a down payment and for some repairs on a distressed property. Mine is not large enough of a value to fully fund a purchase. I'm having a hard time paying it back. I guess it seemed like an easy way to get my hands on the funds and didn't analyze the finances as carefully as I would have if I was borrowing from a bank.
I'm an agent, but I do have a policy myself and I do use it for what I call "The Double Play": leveraging the cash value of a maximum over-funded policy to invest in real estate.
I see you've found the Paradigm Life thread. That is one of the oldest and most thorough threads here on BP. You'll get a full spectrum of perspectives, good and bad.
To answer your questions above, the cash value is a function of how much premium you are putting into a policy. In a properly designed, maximum over-funded life insurance policy, the ratio of cash value to premium should be about 85 to 90%. So if you make a $50,000 annual premium, you should have something more than $40,000 that you can immediately borrow against. However, if you are funding your policy with only $200 per month, it will take a while before you have a meaningful amount of cash value to do anything.
I am relatively new to this concept, but I have read the book, What Would the Rockefeller's Do? To be clear, when you recommend Maximum Over-Funded Life Insurance, you are referring to a policy with the most possible cash value and minimal death benefit, correct? In the book they mention a few different "Infinite Banking" concepts or ways to utilize the method, however one of the most talked about concepts was the idea that in a case where you didn't pay back the loan, it would just be deducted from the death benefit. So in a sense, wouldn't a larger death benefit allow the potential for access to a larger loan against the policy, that in turn allows for more real estate financing opportunities through the policy, even if it means it takes longer to accumulate the cash value?
I'm an agent, but I do have a policy myself and I do use it for what I call "The Double Play": leveraging the cash value of a maximum over-funded policy to invest in real estate.
I see you've found the Paradigm Life thread. That is one of the oldest and most thorough threads here on BP. You'll get a full spectrum of perspectives, good and bad.
To answer your questions above, the cash value is a function of how much premium you are putting into a policy. In a properly designed, maximum over-funded life insurance policy, the ratio of cash value to premium should be about 85 to 90%. So if you make a $50,000 annual premium, you should have something more than $40,000 that you can immediately borrow against. However, if you are funding your policy with only $200 per month, it will take a while before you have a meaningful amount of cash value to do anything.
I am relatively new to this concept, but I have read the book, What Would the Rockefeller's Do? To be clear, when you recommend Maximum Over-Funded Life Insurance, you are referring to a policy with the most possible cash value and minimal death benefit, correct? In the book they mention a few different "Infinite Banking" concepts or ways to utilize the method, however one of the most talked about concepts was the idea that in a case where you didn't pay back the loan, it would just be deducted from the death benefit. So in a sense, wouldn't a larger death benefit allow the potential for access to a larger loan against the policy, that in turn allows for more real estate financing opportunities through the policy, even if it means it takes longer to accumulate the cash value?
Does anyone here finance their real estate investments through a loan against their Whole Life Insurance policy via a Trust? If so, how long does it take to have enough Cash Value to 1.) Begin financing and 2.) Really be able to not worry about when you need a loan and be able to jump on opportunities as soon as you see them? Also, any recommendations on Mutual Life insurance Companies for beginners.
Thanks in Advance!
I disagree with you. While investing directly into real estate will give you a better return initially, if you funnel the same amount through a life insurance first and borrow it to reinvest in the same real estate deals, on the long term, your return will be enhanced by this process. It's basic mathematics.
This long thread https://www.biggerpockets.com/... has some basic calculations proving it....
Hey Tommy,
If you're a beginning investor, without a strong cash position, the whole life policy is just going to slow you down for your first few years. However, if you've sold a few properties and are in a strong cash position, it's definitely a cool tool to consider.
Many very wealthy people use whole life but I've found that whole life isn't the way they got there. Instead, it's a way they stay there.
Good luck!
Tommy — good that you're thinking long-term. In a properly structured policy (not the kind most agents sell), you can access about 85-90% of your premium as cash value in year one. So if you're putting in 20K/year, you'd have roughly 17K available to borrow against almost immediately. The key is finding an agent who designs for maximum cash value, not maximum commission. Most policies sold at retail are the opposite — heavy on death benefit, light on cash value. That's why people think it takes 10 years to use. It doesn't, if it's built right. Look into mutual companies like Mass Mutual, Penn Mutual, or Guardian. I have a training on my page that walks through the math.
Two answers here.
For the OP: timeline depends entirely on how the policy is structured. A maximum over-funded policy with paid-up additions riders gives you 85-90% of premium as borrowable cash value in YEAR ONE. So if you fund $50K/year, you have $42-45K to borrow against by month 12. If you're funding $200/month, you're 5-7 years out before it becomes useful for real estate. Most people who give up on the strategy never funded it correctly.
Carriers to look at: MassMutual, Penn Mutual, Lafayette Life, Mutual Trust Life. All mutual companies, all have good PUA riders. Avoid stock companies and anyone who can't show you a designed-for-cash-value illustration.
For the follow-up question on death benefit vs cash value: you're thinking about it the right way. Larger death benefit = larger total loan capacity, but slower cash value accumulation. The choice depends on whether you want speed or scale. For real estate investors who need access fast, max cash value beats max death benefit every time. The death benefit grows with paid-up additions anyway, so you're not giving it up forever — just front-loading the cash value first.
The "Double Play" comment above is exactly right. You're using the same dollar in two places at once: it earns dividend inside the policy AND works in your real estate deal. That's the actual edge.
Good question — and the honest answer is "it depends on design, not the company."
Two things drive how fast the cash value becomes useful:
1. How the policy is structured. A standard whole life policy is built for a death benefit first and cash value second. For banking purposes you want the opposite — a base policy with a paid-up additions rider so most of the premium goes into cash value from year one. Properly structured, you can have 60-80% of your first-year premium liquid almost immediately, and close to dollar-for-dollar by year 3-5.
2. How much you fund it. Cash value is a function of premium. $200/month takes years before it does anything meaningful. $1,000+/month funded aggressively into PUAs can have real working capital inside 12-24 months.
For mutual companies, the short list most agents use for banking-style designs is MassMutual, Penn Mutual, Guardian, NYL, and Lafayette Life. They all work — the agent and the design matter more than the logo.
One thing I'd flag as someone who's actually used policy loans to fund flips: don't over-focus on the first year. The real power shows up around year 5-7 when you can recycle the same dollars through multiple deals without liquidating anything.
Two timelines to split.
Loanable cash in year one: a properly designed policy (heavy PUA rider) gives you 60-85% of your first premium as loanable cash value inside 12 months. On $30k premium, that's $18-25k you can access.
Useful for deals: you need 3-5 years of premium to build real dry powder.
Carrier questions that matter: **mutual company** (you become part owner, get dividends), 150+ year dividend history, A++ AM Best rating, and direct vs non-direct recognition on loans. Big 4 mutuals (MassMutual, Guardian, NY Life) all qualify, plus Penn Mutual and Lafayette Life.
Bigger point: design matters more than carrier. The same company can issue a bad policy or a great one. Ask the agent for base-to-PUA ratio and MEC-tested illustrations. And make sure your cash value keeps growing uninterrupted when you borrow — that's the whole reason to do this unless your also looking for protection and LTC. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.