Votes
David Newfang
Pro Member
Votes |
Self Directed IRA's and 401k's

David Newfang
Pro Member
Posted May 25 2023, 19:25

Hello Everyone. I am a huge biggerpockets fan. I am hoping there is someone here that could recommend a self directed account. I have a traditional 401k that I want to move! 

Thanks in advance! 

David 

Lancaster, CA

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 25 2023, 19:49
Quote from @David Newfang:

I am hoping there is someone here that could recommend a self directed account.

I had my SDIRA setup with The Entrust Group in 2016. No complaints so far. Regardless of which custodian you use make sure you get checkbook control or else the fees will kill you. 

User Stats

Votes
David Newfang
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 25 2023, 20:20

@Kristi K. Thank you, I will look into them!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied May 25 2023, 20:25

@David Newfang,

Not every custodian will allow checkbook control. We use Solera bank for our Checkbook IRA clients. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied May 25 2023, 20:57

@David Newfang

There are a number of self-directed plan formats offered by different types of providers that suit the needs of various portfolio types.

A custodian like Entrust is simply the base administrative/processing layer. You can just house an account with a self-directed custodian and have them process your transactions. This is not what is referred to as checkbook control, but for one or two relatively static assets like a private fund or REIT can be effective.

For more dynamic portfolios with multiple assets or certain investments like rental property that generate a lot of transaction activity, relying on a 3rd party custodian as your processor becomes unusable and expensive. Upgrading to a Checkbook IRA where the IRA held by a specialty custodian like Entrust or Solera owns a LLC or Trust that you can manage and use to control the IRA capital becomes more effective.

The checkbook IRA is kind of like having a conventional IRA invest into a "fund" (the LLC/Trust) where you get to be the fund manager, and the "fund" can invest in anything the IRS rules allow for.

If you are self-employed with no full time employees, a self-directed Solo 401(k) is a particularly elegant solution that provides checkbook control and has other advantages like high contribution limits, Roth sub-accounts, and the ability to borrow from your plan.

There are several quality providers such as @Dmitriy Fomichenko active on Bigger Pockets.  

Do a bit of reading and then get on the phone with a few of us. It is a pretty broad and intimidating field when you first start, but once you chat with an expert or two, you can narrow down how a self-directed IRA fits into your specific goals and find a partner who can support you in those efforts.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2023, 13:07

For more dynamic portfolios with multiple assets or certain investments like rental property that generate a lot of transaction activity, relying on a 3rd party custodian as your processor becomes unusable and expensive. Upgrading to a Checkbook IRA where the IRA held by a specialty custodian like Entrust or Solera owns a LLC or Trust that you can manage and use to control the IRA capital becomes more effective.

The checkbook IRA is kind of like having a conventional IRA invest into a "fund" (the LLC/Trust) where you get to be the fund manager, and the "fund" can invest in anything the IRS rules allow for.

@David Newfang @Brian Eastman David, Brian nailed it as always. This is exactly what I meant when I said checkbook control. My LLC allows me to buy all of my rental properties without any interaction with my custodian except for year end reporting to the IRS. It has been life changing not having to rely on the stock market and control our own retirement.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia