Sell vs Keep: capture equity in rental to invest?

Sell vs Keep: capture equity in rental to invest?

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi all, first time caller, long-time listener. I’m wondering if there is an efficient way to sell an interest in my single family rental to preserve the economic value of my mortgage? Has anyone done that?

Situation (SoCal rental):
\- Bought 2018: $950k
\- moved out in 2023
\- Current value: \~$1.5M (has gone down since we moved out, while markets have skyrocketed)
\- Mortgage: ~$650k @ 2.75% (non-assumable). Refinanced in 2021. 
\- Rent: \~$6k/month +/- a few hundred
\- Low management burden, good tenant (so far)

Tax timing:
\- §121 exclusion eligibility expires Q4 2026
\- Estimated gain: \~$600–700k (less \~$150–200k improvements) 

Decision I’m wrestling with:
\- Sell now → use §121, diversify out of SoCal real estate (advisor’s view)
\- Hold → keep cheap leverage, defer taxes (potentially indefinitely via 1031 exchange) and selling costs

What feels unclear to me:

1. The present value of the undermarket mortgage at 2.75% seems to be at least $150k, and that goes for free to bank if we sell, right?

2. Is it rational to ignore §121 if the likely strategy is long-term hold + eventual 1031?

3. Am I overweighting transaction costs (seems huge to me) / tax acceleration vs the benefits of diversification? Could I achieve both by getting one or two investors to buy in or would that never pencil out?

Framing:
Emotionally I lean toward holding (cheap debt + cash flow), but intellectually I see the diversification argument and that’s where my husband is leaning. I’m trying to pressure-test whether I’m making a rational tradeoff or just anchoring to the mortgage rate.

Would appreciate how others have modeled or thought about this.

FWIW I thought the Sell vs Keep (and rent) analysis on this site was really helpful; it even comes with a spreadsheet! But it seems to assume you can’t keep the rental and sell most of equity.   I honestly don’t know if that would even be attractive. My gut says this would be too small of a deal to merit the headache of trying to syndicate the rental somehow

0Reply
101 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5mo

    As you mentioned, when you sell the property, the mortgage goes away. You could sell it subject to the existing mortgage, but that is not something I recommend, as it can create a lot of problems.

    What it boils down to is: are you better off selling and putting the money elsewhere? That could be a better investment, or is this already a good investment?

    We have our primary residence locked in at 3%, and even if we did move, I would never sell it. I would rent it because it would still cash flow, and the tenant would be paying down the interest. I do put a lot of value on cheap debt, so that is why I keep what I have that has very low debt. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    You have an amazing interest rate and tons of equity. Financial freedom comes from stacking deals like this over time, not selling them and walking away. As you build, leverage your equity and couple that with value add opportunities that produce some sort of positive income. Over time, they'll get better and better, assuming you are buying in growing and desirable areas. 

    Use a HELOC to access your equity and keep your costs low, just keep in mind that it should be bridge funding, not permanent financing.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5mo

    @Jordan Weber, Unless you have a strategy that aligns with your investment goals, there's really no need to be hasty, even if you can qualify for the 121 exclusion. That is true. You can always do a 1031 down the road if you decide you want to deploy your equity into larger investment properties or multiple investment properties. And still keep the tax deferred.

    But, you are also in a very unique position right now - Not only do you qualify for the 121, which would give you that first $500K of gain tax-free, but you can also do a 1031 exchange on the rest. This would make the entire transaction tax-free and tax-deferred. And it would lower your reinvestment requirements for the 1031 exchange dramatically. This could be an important factor if you're going to look outside CA, as your advisor suggested.

    I, too, like the loan and your tenant. But there's something to be said for taking money off the table tax-free every chance you get. Especially if it also helps you achieve other goals.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.