I always had a general "just in case" cushion for my rentals, but it was never really tied to anything specific, just a round number that felt safe.
Then I actually mapped out every major system across my properties by age and expected remaining lifespan, and added up what replacing everything on a realistic timeline would actually cost, spread out year by year. The number that came out was different from my old cushion in an uncomfortable way, some years it was way more than I'd been keeping aside, other years way less.
What changed for me wasn't the total amount saved, it was realizing my old cushion was smoothing over years that are naturally lumpy. A year where three systems age out at once isn't bad luck, it's just math you can see coming if you're tracking it.
How are others sizing their reserve, a flat number that feels safe, or something tied to what's actually aging in the property?
Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1mo
Hey Giuseppe,
This is a really good point. I think a flat reserve number can give you a false sense of security, especially once you own multiple properties.
I’d personally look at it from both angles: a baseline emergency reserve for unexpected repairs, plus a separate capital expenditure reserve based on the age and condition of the major systems. Roof, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc. You can then adjust that reserve as the properties age instead of treating every year the same.
The other thing I’d factor in is the age of the property itself. A newer property with newer systems obviously has a different reserve requirement than a 50-year-old property where the roof, HVAC, and plumbing are all approaching the end of their useful lives.
Definitely more useful than just saying “I have $20K set aside, so I’m good.”
Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions - my DMs are always open!
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 970 posts · 638 votes
1mo
Tying your reserves to the actual age and condition of the property makes a lot of sense.If the roof, HVAC, water heater, or other major systems are getting older, I'd want to know what replacing them could cost and start preparing for those expenses. It's much easier to handle a big repair when you've been expecting it than when it comes as a surprise. I also wouldn't expect every year to look the same; some years will be quiet and others won't, and that's okay. The important thing is being prepared for the bigger expenses when they come.