Skip to content
Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Chris R.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern NH
Votes |
Victim of Wire Fraud Recently - Watch Your Back!!!

Chris R.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern NH
Posted Jul 26 2018, 07:15

Just a heads up to all my BP colleagues (Quick Tip!) - I was recently a victim of wire fraud on a mortgage transaction and in speaking with the FBI, activity has been rampant lately.  The day it happened to me last week also impacted quite a few other individuals going to close on a property.  My advice?  Get a paper certified check to bring to close.  Always.  

The email sent requesting closing funds looked absolutely legit.  It was from the closing company owner, it had their contact information, logo, and it was timed absolutely in line with the logical chain of events.  You have procedural momentum going, you're excited to close, and you instinctively take the bait.  These are very sophisticated individuals so NEVER trust a wire request.  

My downfall was that I was an idiot...I didn't call the closing company to confirm.  And now I owe myself a significant amount of money that is probably circling the African continent in a well-orchestrated wire fraud scheme.   

Anyone else have this happen and if so, please let me know if there's any recourse?  It sucks beyond comprehension so I'm looking for any actionable advice.  

Loading replies...