Best Credit Cards to Earn Travel Points

19 Replies

Just listened to the BiggerPockets Money Podcast #23 with Becky and Noah, who spoke about how they've been able to travel hack but taking advantage of credit cards rewards. Was just wondering if there are any companies that offer particularly good deals that stand out over others. Whether it be rewards in flight miles or hotel stays, I'd be interested to hear anything! Let me know!

Chase Sapphire Reserve and AMEX Platinum cards are arguably the best travel premium cards on the market.   To answer this question, however, you really have to focus on your goals (e.g., where do you want to go, where do you want to stay, etc.).  Each rewards programs have sweet spots depending on where / what you are trying to do.

@Greg Bohn there are forums on the net specifically for credit card mile hacking. They are always talking about not just the best overall cards but the best current deals for bonus miles.
@Greg Bohn Greg , I work for one of the largest credit companies and am a self proclaimed points nerd, PM me if you want to know anything specific . Recommend starting with the Points Guy website as well as One Mile at a time. Gary Leff’s site - view from the wing is also decent.

Not sure if it still works but you used to be able to get the southwest cards (both visas and or personal/biz) and rack up the points to get companion pass.

@Matt K. All depends how much you use it. The fee is $450 but $150 gets rebated on your dining, so its then $300. I get about $3-4,000 of value from the points plus airport lounge access. So all depends on how much you spend.
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :
@Matt K. All depends how much you use it. The fee is $450 but $150 gets rebated on your dining, so its then $300. I get about $3-4,000 of value from the points plus airport lounge access. So all depends on how much you spend.

I know the card well, it's a response to the amex card I posted. The amex card is 550 yr similar benefits...

But with my link.... It's free ;)

Should add there's a decent amount of benefits to all the visa signature cards that many people don't take advantage of.... For example 50 dollar tow which one those things you can't really plan out haha ...

I'm a huge points nerd and have travel hacked for years now, having taken business/first class flights, staying free in hotels, getting other perks from cards.

Feel free to PM with specific questions.

@Greg Bohn points and miles lover here! Chase Sapphire Reserve is my #1 recommendation but if the annual fee scares you then go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The annual fee is $99 and they often have promos to waive it.