• Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Millionaire - RICH or Middle Class?

Shiloh Lundahl
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Posted Mar 4 2019, 06:44

I have had a interesting discovery recently. At the end of last year, I was finishing updating my financials and I realized that my networth had reached over 1 million dollars. That had been one of my financial goals over the last couple of years but last week I had a sad, disappointing realization. 

I posted a question on the forums asking if there was a shortcut to wealth. Many people on the forums said yes and a few suggested I read the book The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco. I started listening to that book on Audible and it basically stated that 1 million dollars today is not worth what it used to be and that you would really need 5 million today to live a millionaire lifestyle that I saw when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of truth to this perspective. 

As my networth has gone up, I have relaxed a lot on my spending habits. I signed my kids up for music lessons, sports, and other activities without considering the cost because in my mind, I am a millionaire and millionaires are wealthy and that is what wealthy people do. When I would eat out I would think more along the lines of what do I feel like eating rather than comparing the prices of each meal and then asking myself, “how much do I want to spend on lunch.” Each month when my wife and I would do the budget, we were over spending by $500 - $1000 and I would need to pay myself more by transferring more money into our personal account from my business accounts. I was getting confused and frustrated at this. If I was a millionaire then why was I still feeling strapped financially?

DeMarco explaines in his book that the millionaires are not really wealthy but are considered the middle class or the upper middle class. And that if you spend like you are wealthy, you will ultimately become poor. So now I am back to budgeting more strictly and living more frugally - darn it! I thought that I had arrived just to find out I am only one-fifth the way there.

Have any of you come to the realization that what you thought was wealthy today isn’t really as wealthy as you thought? 

Loading replies...