Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Margot Baldwin
Votes |
Looking for "retirement" advice

Margot Baldwin
Posted Jul 9 2019, 14:40

My husband and i are trying to leave our careers in the next two years to "retire" early. What that means for us is passive income from 3 SFHs that are fully rented out, in addition to a small pension. We are wanting to defer SS and any 401K/IRA funds until later when we're the appropriate ages.

I hired a financial planner to take a look at our facts and figures (which she did, for a fee, and told us we "looked great") but I did not really get the information I was hoping for. Maybe I need a CPA instead? We will be living on rental income (approx $5300/month) plus a pension of about $1500/month. I have so many questions about tax implications and ROTH conversions and the 4% rule and living outside the US and how that may affect things... I don't want to screw anything up leaving our well-paying gigs at 50.

We have a CPA who does our yearly taxes but he's never been great with questions outside of tax season, and he's gearing up to retire anyway. I don't feel like he's going to be our person moving forward.

Our rental properties are in CA and ID, we will be based in ID but are in CA now. Can anyone weigh in on what it is I should be looking for and how to find that person? TIA

Loading replies...