Personal Finance

User Stats

Votes
Marie Loz
Votes |
Timing out debt payoff vs any saving/investing, etc

Marie Loz
Posted Oct 13 2021, 15:19

Hi all - could use some advice. My spouse and I are in our early 30's and the pandemic was the turning point that really made us get serious about money. We are slowly learning more and more about what it will take to first, make our net worth positive and then second, gain financial freedom. We were both raised with a mindset of "if you have it, spend it!". So we have been trying to turn that around and followed Dave Ramsey's plan to help pay off most debts. We still unfortunately have some student loans (fingers crossed for PSLF for mine) and have one car payment (put down $10k). Uncannily, this is the first time in our married life that we have ever had an emergency fund so that's a plus! We have never owned a house and have always rented so don't have any real investments besides smaller-ish retirement accounts. We are currently slamming everything onto my spouses private student loan (just refinanced it down to 4.1%) to save on interest and get it paid down as fast as possible. The issue is, we would like to start a family, plus buy a house plus begin investing. Trying to figure out the timing of all of this feels precarious. Any recs on the order of business? I think I am just nervous to do anything at this point for fear of making the wrong choice, yet again. Any help appreciated!

Loading replies...