• Rental Property Investor
  • Melrose MA
Votes |
Non paying tenant advice

Arian Mustafa
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melrose MA
Posted Nov 26 2021, 15:13

Hi BP community.  Wanted to put up a question to get some suggestions from landlords who might have gone through a similar situation.  I am dealing with a non paying tenant in Massachusetts.

She is a single mom who moved in beginning of 2021.  Rent has been on time until about 2 months ago when she asked for an extra week to pay, or post date a check.  Month of November she begins by saying she will be a bit late on the full rent, to a week later saying she can only afford to pay half rent, to now saying she can't pay any rent until next month.  She has supposedly applied for RCAPS program which helps tenants pay their rent if they have fallen behind.  The program kicks in once the tenant is 2 months behind on rent.

I have not received any paperwork from RCAPS to do my part for her application process.  In her last contact with me she claims that I knew she was having issues paying rent and I could have started the RCAPS application months ago as if that's my responsibility.

I have kept track of all my communication with her.  My question is what is the best way to approach this?  Should I sent out a demand for rent letter?  Should I start an eviction process?  Can I ask her to provide proof of the application for RCAPS?  How can I navigate this process basically as gingerly as possible?

Also, her lease runs out May 2022.  Renewal notices go about 60 days prior to end of lease agreement.  If RCAPS does not kick in soon or if she is dragging her feet in any way I will not be renewing her lease.  Come May, even if worst case scenario happens and she has not paid until May, can I still have her move out?  Lease is done, I don't wish to renew.  Is that within my right?

Any ideas, suggestions how to navigate this process would be much appreciated.  Thanks BP fam.

Loading replies...