• Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Tenants moved out - repair/damages questions

Tony Ngo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Posted Sep 19 2013, 17:48

The tenants stayed at the property for almost 5 years. He gave me a notice to move out four days ago. He bought a house and moved out. I came by last night to do a walk through. The house has damages (blinds were removed, trims around the two doors are broken, cabinet door fell down, parts of the carpet is ruined by his dog, the garage is turned into a bedroom w/o our knowledge, the railing of the deck in the backyard is removed, the walls are dirty and spotted with paints, and some other minor stuffs ....). He did install the fence around the house, which looks nice - but again w/o our knowledge.

He sent me an email saying that he wants a couple of bids of fair and reasonable amounts, also he requires all the receipts of when the item was last replaced. He said my other option is to keep his $800 deposit and call it even to avoid dragging this to court.

Questions:

1) The carpet was less than a year old before he moved in, for him to stay there 5 years, what's normal wear and tear? If I replace the carpet, what percentage of that cost can I reasonable charge him?

2) Legally in Oregon, how many bids am I supposed to get to present the cost to the tenant?

3) The Blinds were there and working before he moved in, he took them all out, it would be expensive to replace. He demands receipts of when the items were last replaced, I don't have this receipt, what can I reasonably charge him?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kayla

Loading replies...