Repetitive HVAC Theft, Cages, and Insurance Claims

Repetitive HVAC Theft, Cages, and Insurance Claims

Investor · USA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 17 votes

Hey BP,

  I have a rental property in South Carolina that has had the HVAC package unit stolen three times in the past 8 years, always when the property is vacant.  The property is an A- class property, but unfortunately is in a somewhat rural area.  I believe the next door neighbors are involved for several reasons, so I do foresee it happening again in the future.  The last theft was in 2017.  I had metal t-posts cemented into the ground around the new unit, but this was not enough to prevent another theft that I've just learned has occurred.

  My first concern:  Is it likely that my insurance carrier will drop me if I file a second claim?  I filed a claim for the theft in 2017.  I also have an unrelated claim on another property from 2020.  I use Nationwide.

 Second, does anyone use cages around their units?  Do they actually prevent theft if the individual has ample time to commit the offense...  like overnight or in a rural area?

I will likely install a security camera.  I am also considering using a livestock electric fence energizer for the cage to really make any attempt at theft more... interesting.

Thank you.

2Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

How can you make the metal cage look pretty? I'm coming out to see the house and it looks like prison? 

Can you remove the AC when property turns over?

Electric current will end up killing possums and dogs so no.

Knock on neighbor's door. Look and see what AC model they  have

Label yours with permanent hot pink spray paint

Concrete the unit into the ground -slab 5 inches deep and weld to it.

Lock up disconnect box so they get electrocuted when they do the steal 

look on craigs list for the HVAC guy selling them and call him to come to random addresses

Aim cameras where the truck parks and don't let them know you can record plates

Motion lights that make sound, there's some barking ones

Fence the yard, put a big dog there when it's vacant, thinking Doberman.

Put sign up about dog who bites.

Do you really know which neighbor did this? 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Jordan Little

    I doubt your insurance would get cancelled but definitely put in cameras.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y

    You PROBABLY won’t get cancelled as long as they don’t think you’re involved. Your rates will PROBABLY go up. 3 thefts in 8 years SOUNDS like a lot. But believe me. Anyone stealing for profit would be stealing 3 times per year. Put up a security camera that sees the ac but also the front or something more useful. As again, as someone that’s been victimized too many times. You’re going to have a video of a black hoodie pulled uo over their entire body whering gloves. You’re not going to catch anyone. You’re just going to have “proof” it was stolen 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hid a a tracking device in it.

    In each of the parts.

    Share the info with the local Sheriff.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    Thanks all for the suggestions.  What about theft deterrent BEFORE the theft occurs?  I don't want to replace it a fourth time.

    I'm also considering government-building style metal security fencing just around the units.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    How can you make the metal cage look pretty? I'm coming out to see the house and it looks like prison? 

    Can you remove the AC when property turns over?

    Electric current will end up killing possums and dogs so no.

    Knock on neighbor's door. Look and see what AC model they  have

    Label yours with permanent hot pink spray paint

    Concrete the unit into the ground -slab 5 inches deep and weld to it.

    Lock up disconnect box so they get electrocuted when they do the steal 

    look on craigs list for the HVAC guy selling them and call him to come to random addresses

    Aim cameras where the truck parks and don't let them know you can record plates

    Motion lights that make sound, there's some barking ones

    Fence the yard, put a big dog there when it's vacant, thinking Doberman.

    Put sign up about dog who bites.

    Do you really know which neighbor did this? 

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jordan L.:

    What about theft deterrent BEFORE the theft occurs?  I don't want to replace it a fourth time.


    Moat with alligators!  Do it!  Do it!  Do it! ...
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jordan L.:

    Hey BP,

      I have a rental property in South Carolina that has had the HVAC package unit stolen three times in the past 8 years, always when the property is vacant.  The property is an A- class property, but unfortunately is in a somewhat rural area.  I believe the next door neighbors are involved for several reasons, so I do foresee it happening again in the future.  The last theft was in 2017.  I had metal t-posts cemented into the ground around the new unit, but this was not enough to prevent another theft that I've just learned has occurred.

      My first concern:  Is it likely that my insurance carrier will drop me if I file a second claim?  I filed a claim for the theft in 2017.  I also have an unrelated claim on another property from 2020.  I use Nationwide.

     Second, does anyone use cages around their units?  Do they actually prevent theft if the individual has ample time to commit the offense...  like overnight or in a rural area?

    I will likely install a security camera.  I am also considering using a livestock electric fence energizer for the cage to really make any attempt at theft more... interesting.

    Thank you.


     Hey Jordan, sorry to hear that. I’m curious where in Columbia this happened? 

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    4y
    Flame throwers! In all seriousness... I doubt the insurance will drop you but rates will surely go up. I wanted to report that cages will work but the fact that your in such a rural area with the thieves having no real time crunch to do their bidding, it will not stop them. They would  just need the right tools. I would say your best bet is camera and an alarm system. Perhaps if you caught them in the act, you could sound the alarm and scare them away also alerting the authorities.

    Point Central is an alarm company that has a ton of alarm solutions for landlords/pm companies. You should give them a buzz to see if they can offer you a unique solution.
    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Investor · USA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    @Will Gaston the property is in Lugoff, actually.  

    @Melanie Thomas Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm going to give them a call.  I'm 2700 miles away from the property so to watch at all times will be impossible, but if they have a functional alert system in place that could immediately push to my phone, that would be perfect for my needs.

    I'm certain it's the same individual/neighbor stealing the units each time.  It happens like clockwork when someone moves out, so it has got to be someone who sees the property on a daily basis and knows when a vacancy occurs.  This particular neighbor is known for harassing my tenants as well--  my most recent tenant had to call law enforcement regarding these guys.  Their driveway is right at the property line (on the side with the units, of course).  They live in a ratty trailer back in the woods.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I live in a different world. I have never, ever had someone steal HVAC, an appliance, etc. Nobody has ever broken into a home and squatted. Half the people around here don't even lock their doors at night.

    It's sad that people live in areas where this kind of behavior is accepted as part of doing business.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    When I have had a problem with properties like that I ask one of my contractors or other contacts if they have anyone who would want to stay there temporarily between tenants.   Usually a young guy with a blow up mattress and Roku TV that's happy to be out of his parent's house for a month.  I paid them $25 a day.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joe Bertolino:

    When I have had a problem with properties like that I ask one of my contractors or other contacts if they have anyone who would want to stay there temporarily between tenants.   Usually a young guy with a blow up mattress and Roku TV that's happy to be out of his parent's house for a month.  I paid them $25 a day.  


     That's an excellent idea, actually.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.