Walking Shirtless in the Hallway

Walking Shirtless in the Hallway

Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 14 votes

Hello,

I'm a new landlord looking for advice. I appreciate it in advance.

I have a multi family house with three units. I have one tenant that likes to be shirtless in the common areas. The other two tenants feel offended by it because they feel it is inappropriate.

The shirtless Tenant is saying that he is not doing nothing wrong nor illegal.

How would you handle this situation as a Landlord?

2Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
4y

100% not even answering that call, email or text

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
    4y

    100% not even answering that call, email or text

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    The tenant can go anywhere he wants shirtless. The hall to his house. Out in public. This is not a landlord/tenant issue. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Russell Brazil Thank you. Very clear.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Russell Brazil

    ^^^^this right here.

    Unless it’s specifically noted in lease, which it’s better to not as you will never be able to enact it

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    If it was a woman going topless, the answer would be different.  There is nothing stopping a man from going topless.  I would tell the tenant who complains, that the other tenant can go topless if he wants.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Victor,

    Seems like the complainers are easily offended and rather on the "controlling" end of the spectrum.

    I suspect they may dream up other things to complain about the shirtless man, true, stretched-truth, or non-truth.

    If it were mine, I'd be wary of that--specifically made up stuff.

    Good Luck!

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    To lighten your worries ~ I get the feeling he doesn't look like the picture above.

    Ignore the complainers.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I don't get involved in personal disputes. He's not breaking the law. If they can't handle a man being shirtless in his own home, they should consider living in a colder climate.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    In Colorado it's even legal for women to go topless in public. One of the many great things about our state. I'd let the (easily) offended tenants know that it's not against the law or any of your policies and that there's nothing you can do about it even if you wanted to. Odd complaint. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Victor Avelino I don't think you could ask anyone to put a shirt on anymore. I would just leave it alone, if you address it more stupid issues will start to arise because they got you to respond to this. Do not open up Pandora's box.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    Thank you everyone!

    Very much appreciated.

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    4y

    Agree with the rest here! Don't look if you don't like it. No laws broken here. Its a tough conversation but one that needs had. I had a similar issue some years back except the complaint was someone walking around in boxers (with a shirt.) The complaining tenant wrote a nice note, put on the door and it stopped. It all worked itself out with a simple note. The bottomless wonder was simply unaware it bothered folks. Simple kindness goes a long way sometimes. Good luck!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Victor Avelino actually disagree with most of the reasoning here. I wouldn’t get involved either, but I would consider this a detriment to getting and keeping better tenants. At the very least the guy is an inconsiderate neighbor and at worst a creep who makes women feel unsafe.

    So I wouldn’t get involved but it would make me less likely to renew him.

  • Member since 2022 · 142 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    Tenants often like to bring the landlord into petty things that have nothing at all to do with the landlord. Tell the tenant that although you understand their position he is not doing anything illegal so you are unable to force him to put a shirt on. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    @Victor Avelino actually disagree with most of the reasoning here. I wouldn’t get involved either, but I would consider this a detriment to getting and keeping better tenants. At the very least the guy is an inconsiderate neighbor and at worst a creep who makes women feel unsafe.

    So I wouldn’t get involved but it would make me less likely to renew him.


     How do we know it's women complaining, it could be other guys?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Steve K.:

    In Colorado it's even legal for women to go topless in public. One of the many great things about our state. I'd let the (easily) offended tenants know that it's not against the law or any of your policies and that there's nothing you can do about it even if you wanted to. Odd complaint. 

    Hi Steve,

    It's legal, but do they really walk around in public like that (???)

    I've been to Denver and surrounds, and everyone I've seen was fully clothed (seen some very large Elk there too).

    It's not like you guys have beaches up there in the mountains (with the beeches).

    Is it prevalent in Boulder (???)

    In Texas that would probably get a lady a ride to the local Hoosegow pretty quickly.

  • The Triangle, NC · Member since 2021 · 189 posts · 117 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    @Victor Avelino actually disagree with most of the reasoning here. I wouldn’t get involved either, but I would consider this a detriment to getting and keeping better tenants. At the very least the guy is an inconsiderate neighbor and at worst a creep who makes women feel unsafe.

    So I wouldn’t get involved but it would make me less likely to renew him.

    We don't know the gender of the complainer.  Could be insecure boyfriends fussing :)       Seriously, this kind of tenant-on-tenant mud wrestling never turns out well for the PM or owner.  Not your cat in their fight.  They have to settle their own dress code differences if it doesn't break the law or the terms of the lease.  Is shirtless boy an otherwise good tenant?

    Gah -- Scott beat me to it.  Fast fingers, there!

  • The Triangle, NC · Member since 2021 · 189 posts · 117 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:
    Quote from @Steve K.:

    In Colorado it's even legal for women to go topless in public. One of the many great things about our state. I'd let the (easily) offended tenants know that it's not against the law or any of your policies and that there's nothing you can do about it even if you wanted to. Odd complaint. 


    Hi Steve,

    It's legal, but do they really walk around in public like that (???)

    I've been to Denver and surrounds, and everyone I've seen was fully clothed (seen some very large Elk there too).

    It's not like you guys have beeches up there in the mountains.

    Is it prevalent in Boulder (???)

    In Texas that would probably get a lady a ride to the local Hoosegow pretty quickl

    On the flip side, we have some pretend-conservative busybodies here in NC that bust a fit over breastfeeding in public. It's legal, it's none of the complainer's business, doesn't seem to stop them from being jerks or worried that little johnny might see a mammary. Little johnny is their learing hubby more often than not...

    Gotta wonder about a 'culture' that worships violence and lives in fear of a breast. 

  • The Triangle, NC · Member since 2021 · 189 posts · 117 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    @Victor Avelino actually disagree with most of the reasoning here. I wouldn’t get involved either, but I would consider this a detriment to getting and keeping better tenants. At the very least the guy is an inconsiderate neighbor and at worst a creep who makes women feel unsafe.

    So I wouldn’t get involved but it would make me less likely to renew him.

    or raise the rent...  economic conditions can often solve difficult equations.
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Victor Avelino:

    Hello,

    I'm a new landlord looking for advice. I appreciate it in advance.

    I have a multi family house with three units. I have one tenant that likes to be shirtless in the common areas. The other two tenants feel offended by it because they feel it is inappropriate.

    The shirtless Tenant is saying that he is not doing nothing wrong nor illegal.

    How would you handle this situation as a Landlord?


     In our condo  almost everyone is shirtless :) lol but that's in front of the beach

    btw this is very simple matter, just extremely politely say to the guy with the smile "hey it's cold today would you please wear blablabablabla" ....

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac doesn’t matter ultimately if they are men are women, but Lets just imagine a typical Boston renting 20-something pair of young women working in a nearby hospital renting their first apartment—prime demographic here—would they consider it a plus for renting? Of course not.

    And someone who doesn’t adhere to minimal social norms IN COMMON AREAS is likely to have other issues. Not recognizing boundaries is a classic sign of a difficult (at least) personality.

    And I’m NOT saying get in the mud or engage between the tenants but I’d absolutely look at this tenant as a negative addition to the property. Frame of reference a fairly crowded city and a B and up property. Plenty of people to pay their rent on time.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Victor Avelino:

    Hello,

    I'm a new landlord looking for advice. I appreciate it in advance.

    I have a multi family house with three units. I have one tenant that likes to be shirtless in the common areas. The other two tenants feel offended by it because they feel it is inappropriate.

    The shirtless Tenant is saying that he is not doing nothing wrong nor illegal.

    How would you handle this situation as a Landlord?

     Handle it like this.

    Tenant: Blah blah blah dude is not wearing a shirt, I am butthurt blah blah blah.

    Landlord: Call me if there is an issue with the heat, plumbing or roof. Otherwise rent is due on the 1st, have a great day.

    Tenant: Wait what? Did you hear what I said about the dude not wearing a shirt?

    Landlord: Yes, I heard you. Call me if there is an issue with the heat, plumbing or roof. Otherwise rent is due on the 1st, have a great day.

    If that doesn't work, take off your shirt and write it on your chest with a sharpie. Then go to their house, knock on the door and ask them to read your chest when they answer it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Victor Avelino:

    Hello,

    I'm a new landlord looking for advice. I appreciate it in advance.

    I have a multi family house with three units. I have one tenant that likes to be shirtless in the common areas. The other two tenants feel offended by it because they feel it is inappropriate.

    The shirtless Tenant is saying that he is not doing nothing wrong nor illegal.

    How would you handle this situation as a Landlord?

     Handle it like this.

    Tenant: Blah blah blah dude is not wearing a shirt, I am butthurt blah blah blah.

    Landlord: Call me if there is an issue with the heat, plumbing or roof. Otherwise rent is due on the 1st, have a great day.

    Tenant: Wait what? Did you hear what I said about the dude not wearing a shirt?

    Landlord: Yes, I heard you. Call me if there is an issue with the heat, plumbing or roof. Otherwise rent is due on the 1st, have a great day.

    If that doesn't work, take off your shirt and write it on your chest with a sharpie. Then go to their house, knock on the door and ask them to read your chest when they answer it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Theresa Harris

    Wouldn't be hearing from any complaints from me, that's for sure!

    Regardless, it can be low taste to do in indoor common areas, but it doesnt tachnically sound like hes breaking any rules. That being said, I do my yardwork shirtless. Have been hollered at by a few cars driving by (nothing negative said, usually something suggestive by the opposite sex). Gives me a tan and keeps me from doing extra laundry tho

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 612 posts · 523 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    To lighten your worries ~ I get the feeling he doesn't look like the picture above.

    Ignore the complainers.

    ********************************************

     Hey, you can't post my pic without my permission!

    :P

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.