Votes
Susan Pompea
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
tenant screening?

Susan Pompea
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Nov 19 2013, 13:45

I just show the property to a couple that "seemed" to be a good match but I'm leery because I had to evict the last tenants and they tore the place apart--I've spent alot of money and time getting the house ready--I'm not going to rush and I'm learned to really screen the tenants.

The couple had called a couple of weeks ago to get the information and didn't seem interested. They called 2 days ago and said they noticed that I still had the sign in the yard and saw the house yesterday. Older couple, no children no pets, no smoking. They wanted to know if I would take less for the rent if they signed a longer lease (2 years vs 1 year). It's only $50 per month less (and I had increased the rent knowing that it's easier to come down than to go up $925 vs $875).

He is self-employed as an auto machanic. Says he makes $4,500 per month gross, she makes $1,200 take home. Told me that the place they are currently renting is only $500 per month so they didn't want to increase their rent to much. I told them I needed to time think it over and I'm going to let them know tomorrow (Wednesday). Would you even consider them--if all the background and screening check's out? They want to move in on Dec 1st.

1. How to verify income for self-employed?

2. Don't want to tie myself into lower rent for 2 year (18 months would work because lease would be in spring--easier to rent).

3. If they make $5,500 per month, why are they asking for lower rent?

4. The house shows great and I've done some updating while property was empty, Great neighborhood--mostly quiet, older couples.

5. Not the best time of year for renting--that said, I'm getting still calls about the house and I haven't started actively advertising. Just a sign in the yard.

7. The last tenants also looked good on paper. Made the neighborhood a living hell and ruined me financially. (I did not run the criminal check on them--lesson learned).

--Any advice would be appreciated.

Loading replies...