I live in DC and want to rent out the house that I am living in today. It is my understanding that I cannot transfer the deed into a LLC without paying a huge transfer fee. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from potential legal issues? Ideally, I would have liked to set up a LLC, but that doesn't seem reasonable when considering the fee associated with it.
Thank you all for your help. Looks like there is no point setting up an LLC. As such, do I apply for the BBL license in DC using my SS, or should I get an EIN?
I live in DC and want to rent out the house that I am living in today. It is my understanding that I cannot transfer the deed into a LLC without paying a huge transfer fee. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from potential legal issues? Ideally, I would have liked to set up a LLC, but that doesn't seem reasonable when considering the fee associated with it.
Just get an umbrella insurance policy.
You dont want to own property in an llc in DC anyways as you would automatically be subject to rent control if you did
Thank you all for your help. Looks like there is no point setting up an LLC. As such, do I apply for the BBL license in DC using my SS, or should I get an EIN?
S.S. An ein is only obtainable through an llc. My advice would be to split the difference and just over insure, have 1 mil in assets get a 2 mil umbrella, have 2 mil, get a 4 mil. The other big benefit to an umbrella is it protects you against all aspects of liability risk, people get so worried about rental properties, when by farrrr the biggest risk is auto related.