Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
The Tenant from H E double hockey stick...

Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:53

A little dose of reality for those anxious to "get into the game".

As a licensed Property Manager for about 12 years, averaging 500 units managed, in spite of best efforts there has been occasion to encounter a less than desirable tenant. Here's a few Classics:

SFH, average neighborhood, tenants had been there for at least five years, always paid on time, in cash, at our office. Neighbor called regarding "strong odor". NEWBIES NOTE: This is NEVER a good sign! Upon investigation, found tenants disposed of all trash in their basement. It was literally three feet deep throughout with rotting food etc. The tenants were reported to adult protective services and removed, and the owner had a BIG cleanup bill which of course included gutting the house...

Apartment house, an older "conversion" (big old mansion, later partitioned off into smaller apartments) in a lower rent area, but not slums. Again, neighbors complained about "strong odor". I will add that this was in the hot summer in the midwest. Let me be polite and just say it was indeed a deceased individual. The subject apartment had to be gutted, as did part of the apartment below due to "fluids transfer".

On a lighter note, how about tenant screening? Another post was discussing that topic--here's something to consider, and this just happened about 8 months ago: Luxury home- $4500 per mo rent, gated oceanfront community. I show the property to an individual that, while somewhat eccentric, seemed "normal" (whatever that is!), and upon review of the application, was what I refer to as "Golden". Or so I thought! The credit score was very high, no derogs, and in fact this 40ish adult was a Trust Fund Baby, with huge assets. Glowing letters of reference from previous LLs. While preparing the lease, I am informed a service dog will be part of the package, and provided a doctors letter. I'm not happy, but its all legit, and I'm not worried about collecting for damages.

Well, once the tenant slipped off of her meds, she turns the whole neighborhood upside down, digs up new landscaping, lights and tv on full blast at all hours, has the police out at all hours because she is being stalked, and on and on and on....

Thankfully, it is my policy to only offer a six month initial lease, but it sure seemed like a long six months!

I've got lots more...but lets hear some of yours!

Loading replies...