General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Julie Park
Votes |
Using security deposit?

Julie Park
Posted Mar 8 2023, 20:15

This is my first multi family property and one of the tenants are moving out early. I found another tenants but I am unsure if i could use security deposit (from the tenants who are moving out) to pay for deep cleaning service for next move in tenants. Is it only ok to use it when the unit is filthy dirty and damaged? They told me they will patch up all the holes they made and paint over and clean up before they move out. If the unit is clean and they do their part, I am not allowed to charge for the cleaning I am guessing? Please share your experiences and knowledge. Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 8 2023, 20:20

The house should be in the same (or better) condition than when they moved in.  I know where some of my rentals are, we have a check list from the provincial government and it actually lists having the carpets professionally cleaned as one of the things the tenants have to do when they move out.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Park
Votes |
Replied Mar 8 2023, 20:38
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The house should be in the same (or better) condition than when they moved in.  I know where some of my rentals are, we have a check list from the provincial government and it actually lists having the carpets professionally cleaned as one of the things the tenants have to do when they move out.

Thank you. I do not have carpets in my unit. It's original hardwood floor and as you may already know, the house here is historic and very old. When I purchased this duplex, I inherited the tenants so not 100% sure about the condition. I feel like it's I kinda grey area. If they clean everything good and I understand normal wear and tear doesn't count, so how should I justify to use the deposit to do cleaning before new tenants move in? Anybody experience something similar? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 9 2023, 04:16
Quote from @Julie Park:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Thank you. I do not have carpets in my unit. It's original hardwood floor and as you may already know, the house here is historic and very old. When I purchased this duplex, I inherited the tenants so not 100% sure about the condition. I feel like it's I kinda grey area. If they clean everything good and I understand normal wear and tear doesn't count, so how should I justify to use the deposit to do cleaning before new tenants move in? Anybody experience something similar? 

If you don't know the move in condition, unless it is really dirty; pay for the deep cleaning out of your pocket.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Mar 9 2023, 04:31

Julie

If you do not have the previous move in condition report and they leave acceptable, move on and pay for the cleaning yourself. Don’t poke the bear with a cleaning bill unless it’s filthy dirty

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 9 2023, 05:00

The deposit is to be used for actual damages not a fund to use at your discretion to make the unit rental ready for the next tenant.  I’m not sure of your local laws but in ky we are required to have a move in checklist and without one we are not allowed to deduct for damages or condition since we have no proof of original condition and that it is worse.  No move out is going to be perfect and I pay a cleaner to come in between tenants to deep clean and it cost between 125-250.  It is just a cost of doing business.  

User Stats

Votes
Julie Park
Votes |
Replied Mar 9 2023, 06:46
Quote from @Adam Martin:

The deposit is to be used for actual damages not a fund to use at your discretion to make the unit rental ready for the next tenant.  I’m not sure of your local laws but in ky we are required to have a move in checklist and without one we are not allowed to deduct for damages or condition since we have no proof of original condition and that it is worse.  No move out is going to be perfect and I pay a cleaner to come in between tenants to deep clean and it cost between 125-250.  It is just a cost of doing business.  

I see!  Thank you!! 

User Stats

Votes
Julie Park
Votes |
Replied Mar 9 2023, 06:48
Quote from @Kim Meredith Hampton:

Julie

If you do not have the previous move in condition report and they leave acceptable, move on and pay for the cleaning yourself. Don’t poke the bear with a cleaning bill unless it’s filthy dirty

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 9 2023, 14:00

@Julie Park the use of security deposits varies by state and even locality. The general rule of thumb is that a security deposit can't be used for normal wear and tear that is incured in the normal use of the property.