Tenant Broke the garage door but claims that it's rust..

Tenant Broke the garage door but claims that it's rust..

Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 2 votes

So I have a quick question that may be obvious. I have a tenant that has broken the garage automatic door presumably from backing into it, but she is claiming that it is because of rust and has requested that I fix it. I will of course fix the door, but I'm thinking this should be deducted from the security deposit.


Is this something that I communicate with the itemized deductions at move out, or should I communicate it now? 

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Liam Martin Ruane:

Awesome help. Definitely worth getting the garage door repair man to check it out. But is this something I just deduct at the end of the lease from their deposit, or should I tell her it will be deducted now?


 Aloha,

Neither. Once an actual determination of prior condition and what "broke" means, if the tenant is responsible, bill them for the repair, providing the report and invoice from the contractor. Security Deposits are for damages at move out only. You can choose to negotiate a payment plan, if it is a significant amount, but otherwise, it is due with the next rent payment, unless local law differs.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 409 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    You should address it now. Figure out what really broke it. If it was a car backing into it it should be pretty easy to prove. If it was old and rusty I would offer to split the repair cost. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    If its due to rust, it will be pretty obvious....if its due to someone hitting it with their car, it will be pretty obvious. Id have the "garage door guy" that will be replacing it give you a report and estimate.

    If the thing was old, rusty and pretty beat up already.... then they hit it with their car to speed up its demise by years of lifespan, then I'd prorate the cost to the tenant. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    As others have stated, if they hit it, they fix it.

    However, if you replace it, you can only charge them based on the life expectancy of the door. If the life expectancy is 20 years and it is 10 years old, you can only charge 50%. If it's 30 years old, they pay nothing...

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Awesome help. Definitely worth getting the garage door repair man to check it out. But is this something I just deduct at the end of the lease from their deposit, or should I tell her it will be deducted now?

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Liam Martin Ruane:

    Awesome help. Definitely worth getting the garage door repair man to check it out. But is this something I just deduct at the end of the lease from their deposit, or should I tell her it will be deducted now?


     Aloha,

    Neither. Once an actual determination of prior condition and what "broke" means, if the tenant is responsible, bill them for the repair, providing the report and invoice from the contractor. Security Deposits are for damages at move out only. You can choose to negotiate a payment plan, if it is a significant amount, but otherwise, it is due with the next rent payment, unless local law differs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.