Tenant Referral for bad tenant that needs to go

Tenant Referral for bad tenant that needs to go

Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 2 votes

I’m not renewing my tenants lease, due to the fact that they broke the lease - never pays on time / more people living than the agreement stated. 

They are going to start looking for a new place but how do I deal with landlord/PM referrals calls?  I’ve heard some landlords lying about the tenants just to get them out, that tenant now becomes someone else's problem. 

How do you give an honest review without risking the chance of the tenant not finding a new rental and being stuck with them?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Kenny Luna:

I’m not renewing my tenants lease, due to the fact that they broke the lease - never pays on time / more people living than the agreement stated. 

They are going to start looking for a new place but how do I deal with landlord/PM referrals calls?  I’ve heard some landlords lying about the tenants just to get them out, that tenant now becomes someone else's problem. 

How do you give an honest review without risking the chance of the tenant not finding a new rental and being stuck with them?


 Why would you be suck with a tenant just evict them 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kenny Luna:

    I’m not renewing my tenants lease, due to the fact that they broke the lease - never pays on time / more people living than the agreement stated. 

    They are going to start looking for a new place but how do I deal with landlord/PM referrals calls?  I’ve heard some landlords lying about the tenants just to get them out, that tenant now becomes someone else's problem. 

    How do you give an honest review without risking the chance of the tenant not finding a new rental and being stuck with them?


     Why would you be suck with a tenant just evict them 

  • Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Kenny Luna:

    I’m not renewing my tenants lease, due to the fact that they broke the lease - never pays on time / more people living than the agreement stated. 

    They are going to start looking for a new place but how do I deal with landlord/PM referrals calls?  I’ve heard some landlords lying about the tenants just to get them out, that tenant now becomes someone else's problem. 

    How do you give an honest review without risking the chance of the tenant not finding a new rental and being stuck with them?


     Why would you be suck with a tenant just evict them 

    Well yes I can just evict them, but lease is up in 3 months and they will be moving. I rather not go through the eviction process with such little time left. Just trying to not make it harder for them to find a place if I’m being asked on feedback…

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    You should simply be factual IF you even get a reference request. Do not provide any response by phone; always require a written reference request, with an authorization statement signed by the tenant from the requestor. You do not need to provide lots of details, simply state, or check a box, such as "housekeeping issues; unauthorized pet; unauthorized additional occupant; 3 late payments last 12 months" etc.  Add a copy of the request letter and signature, as well as your written response, to the tenant file which should be kept according to your record retention policy.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    You may not be used as a reference. If you are, stick to the facts and be honest.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    As has been said, just be honest...you will be fine. As a landlord you owe it to your fellow landlords to allow them to make a decision based on actual facts. 

    Otherwise, you are just passing on your problem to an innocent LL and that makes you a bad guy in my book. Would you like that to happen to you?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I am honest with the new landlord, the same way I expect a previous landlord to be honest with me. I rarely get the call from future landlords. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kenny Luna:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Kenny Luna:

    I’m not renewing my tenants lease, due to the fact that they broke the lease - never pays on time / more people living than the agreement stated. 

    They are going to start looking for a new place but how do I deal with landlord/PM referrals calls?  I’ve heard some landlords lying about the tenants just to get them out, that tenant now becomes someone else's problem. 

    How do you give an honest review without risking the chance of the tenant not finding a new rental and being stuck with them?


     Why would you be suck with a tenant just evict them 

    Well yes I can just evict them, but lease is up in 3 months and they will be moving. I rather not go through the eviction process with such little time left. Just trying to not make it harder for them to find a place if I’m being asked on feedback…


     Well if they are bad tenants and behind on rent my strong suggestion is to you one month prior to the lease you make sure you hit them with a non-renewal.

  • Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thank you all. Honesty is best policy. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    It's unlikely you'll get a call for a Landlord reference. Either the new Landlord won't care of your tenant will like and say they lived with relatives or something. If you do get the call, be honest about the good and the bad.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 68 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    I agree with everyone, be honest. Always think, "if the shoe was on the other foot".

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I recommend not giving a reference...it speaks volumes without putting you at risk; from FindLaw:

    "If word of your negative comments get back to your old tenant, he could sue you claiming you "inaccurately" disclosed negative information." (End).

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

    I recommend not giving a reference...it speaks volumes without putting you at risk; from FindLaw:

    "If word of your negative comments get back to your old tenant, he could sue you claiming you "inaccurately" disclosed negative information." (End).


    Well, if I were a landlord, and a previous landlord said 'No Comment', I would not rent to the tenant.....so I guess that works for landlords as well....

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    In almost 15 years of landlording numerous units, Ive never received a call from another landlord asking for a reference. 

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    I also agree with everyone else. As long as the tenant has signed authorization for the landlord verification, be honest. For the most part it's a simple form and does not require much detail. 

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y

    This was educational. Never been in this scenario but I see what the best route is.

    I would not lie based on karma debt.
    Translation: A city isn’t that big. That landlord may tell the story how you said they were good yet they miss payments…and use your name. You don’t know who they know. Your networking just got lowered for useful contacts. Also, you may run across that landlord in person. That landlord may need rent paid on time due to expenses which may affect their family plans. They trusted you over a potential better tenant.

    Also, the tenant needs to learn from this. They can’t keep playing around like this with people’s funds. You’ll be helping them too.

    I’d either only follow a checklist or no comment. Verbal could be dangerous as it may not be a landlord as well. 

  • Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    My rental applications do require them to put their existing landlord or PM contact.  I reach out and confirm a few things like did they pay rent on time, any complaints, etc...  But I have not been on the receiving side, getting a call from another PM or landlord, so I guess some don't care as long as everything looks good from their end.  I have been asked for tenant letter of recommendation from tenants themselves, but that's about it.  

    I would like to think landlords are not lying about bad tenants, just to get them off their backs and onto someone else!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.