White vs. Stainless steel appliances for Section 8 rental?

White vs. Stainless steel appliances for Section 8 rental?

Member since 2022 · 53 posts · 27 votes

I just acquired a Section 8 duplex and wasn't sure if it was smarter to go with white or stainless steel appliances in the kitchen?

I know white appliances are cheaper, but I know they can be stained and pretty gross looking after some time (if they're not being taken care of and continuously cleaned). 

On the other hand, stainless steel appliances are more expensive, they won't be stained by things like pasta sauce, but they show scratches more easily.

I'm trying to make my Section 8 rentals as bulletproof as possible so that I can keep my costs down. 


Would you recommend White vs. Stainless steel appliances for Section 8 rental?

0Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 268 posts · 315 votes
2y

We go with Black appliances actually.  I know it wasn't one of the options but... 

The black appliances look cleaner after use and getting black appliance paint to touch it up blends better than trying to touch up white appliances.

Another option is to try to rent it without appliances and give the tenants a one time credit for bringing their appliances and then they are responsible for it for the duration of their lease.  Section 8 pays a bit less but it avoids damage and possible replacement in the case of damage.  We show many units without appliances and let them know we will bring in appliances if they do not want to provide their own.  I was skeptical at first but a number of people do take us up on it and it saves a lot of money.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 268 posts · 315 votes
    2y

    We go with Black appliances actually.  I know it wasn't one of the options but... 

    The black appliances look cleaner after use and getting black appliance paint to touch it up blends better than trying to touch up white appliances.

    Another option is to try to rent it without appliances and give the tenants a one time credit for bringing their appliances and then they are responsible for it for the duration of their lease.  Section 8 pays a bit less but it avoids damage and possible replacement in the case of damage.  We show many units without appliances and let them know we will bring in appliances if they do not want to provide their own.  I was skeptical at first but a number of people do take us up on it and it saves a lot of money.  

  • Member since 2022 · 53 posts · 27 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Weiner:

    We go with Black appliances actually.  I know it wasn't one of the options but... 

    The black appliances look cleaner after use and getting black appliance paint to touch it up blends better than trying to touch up white appliances.

    Another option is to try to rent it without appliances and give the tenants a one time credit for bringing their appliances and then they are responsible for it for the duration of their lease.  Section 8 pays a bit less but it avoids damage and possible replacement in the case of damage.  We show many units without appliances and let them know we will bring in appliances if they do not want to provide their own.  I was skeptical at first but a number of people do take us up on it and it saves a lot of money.  


     Oh wow, that's very interesting. I didn't even think about black appliances. Are they generally more expensive than white appliances?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    I do white. Stainless will show dings too easily.

    Good used white appliances are easy to come by. Tenants don't care.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    I prefer white because stainless steel shows finger prints.  Get something simple, but durable and don't get anything that requires a water connection.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @John S. Never get anything with a water connection. It will ruin your floors or if it’s an upstairs unit go through and ruin ceilings in the downstairs unit.

    The tenants can either use tap water or buy bottled and ice trays are perfectly fine. I use ice trays in my own home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.