Best brand gas hot water heater?

20 Replies

Need a new gas HW heater. Never used a gas one before. Is there a best brand. Internet search not showing the best brand.

Thinking a good 12 yr should be around $500.

Jeff, I put Richmond HW heater from Menards and never had any issues with them. 29 gallons sell for about $300

I like that price @Sharad M. . My place is 4 bed, maybe need more than 29 gal.

Will check out Richmond.

@Jeff S. Depending on how much you buy, talk to the manager and sign up for a contractor/investor account. You get huge savings. I bought $12,500 worth of material last week. Retail price was about $12,500, but I got it at a discounted price of about $10,000.

Also, Menards has 11% mail in rebate sale going on. To save extra money, purchase a Menards gift card and then purchase the HW heater on the Menards gift card. You get 11% rebate on gift card and another 11% on the purchase of heater for extra savings :)

Sounds good but we don't have a Mernards. Too bad it sounds like a good outfit.

I love Menards and the 11% rebates. :)

If you have a 4-bedroom house, you probably want to look into a 50-gallon water heater. I've heard people say that a 50-gallon should be used for a 3 bedroom house too, but for all the 2 and 3 bedroom houses I've had, I've always put in 40 gallon water heaters.

As far as the brand, I've heard from a plumber that Bradford-White is the Cadillac of water heaters. However, I've also put in Richmond ones.

Your house or a rental? if your house, get a tank less. If renal, get a 50 gal from home depot. they are awesome. Most of them are made by the same manufacturer anyway. They will have a 12 years warranty, so u are set. These things are so cheap now a days

It will be my house for now. Will live there and see if it is what I like. Could move on though.

Yes, notice they are cheaper @George P. Plan on getting a 12 yr tank.

@Jeff S.

I like AO Smith the best, though have used Rudd. I had an AO Smith that needed replaced it was 35 years old. I have a Rudd now that is 64 years old.

otoh, I had another brand with a 6 year warranty that failed at 6 years and 3 months. Good Timing!

One other thing to check is the water pressure, around here they upped the pressure and that can cause water heater failure. At one place the water was coming out the pressure relief value and the pressure was more than 115 pounds. At another place the high pressure and lack of pressure tank cause the tank to leak.

Interesting @David Krulac . Like those that last forever. It is true, they don't make them like they used to. Also used to be able to buy used appliances and have them last. Not anymore, they are disposable.

I recently had an AO Smith installed in my house. I did the research over a year ago and this is the brand that got the most recommendations.

Another vote for AO Smith. I had an electric one that lasted 24 years. Needless to say I replaced it with another AO Smith.

I have been told all tank water heaters are made the same and there is only one or two plants that make them and put the various names on them. Not sure if it's true. The tanks with the 6 year and 12 year are exactly the same. Sure they fail but the warrantee is only on the equipment. You have to pay for the install separately.

If it were my house, it would be on demand tankless unless you have teenagers. Can't wait until mine leave the house and my 50 gal becomes a tankless.

Originally posted by @Bill S. :

If it were my house, it would be on demand tankless unless you have teenagers. Can't wait until mine leave the house and my 50 gal becomes a tankless.

Bill, whats the negative of having teens in a home with a tankless??

@Chris K. - my teens take endless showers. With a tank heater eventually it runs out and gets cold and the teens get out of the shower. Long showers with a tankless costs more than keeping the tank heater warm overnight.

Very high use on demand heaters will not have energy savings.

Originally posted by @David Krulac :
@Jeff S.

One other thing to check is the water pressure, around here they upped the pressure and that can cause water heater failure. At one place the water was coming out the pressure relief value and the pressure was more than 115 pounds. At another place the high pressure and lack of pressure tank cause the tank to leak.

Pressure reducing valve right after the water meter and an expansion tank (for potable water) at the hot water heater will fix the high water pressure problems. The expansion tank is a good idea even without high water pressure.

Ended up with a 6 year Depot GE after my plumber told me it is not worth the money to pay more for a 12 year. Heard this from others too. It was 3 something for a 50 gal. The quote I got for a 12 year 50 gal from a local plumbing co was $1200. Was hearing it is hard to collect on the 12 year late in the game.

Originally posted by @Bill S. :
@Chris K. - my teens take endless showers. With a tank heater eventually it runs out and gets cold and the teens get out of the shower. Long showers with a tankless costs more than keeping the tank heater warm overnight.

Very high use on demand heaters will not have energy savings.

Ahhh gotcha. Never thought about it like that.

I just got off the phone with a seller, who I asked about any major repairs needed and he stated water heater needs to be replace for sure...then I found this discussion, so thank you ALL for the helpful information!!!

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here