Vancouver, Washington / Clark County ADU anyone?

4 Replies

Hello BP,

Blind shot in the dark but has anyone in Vancouver, WA. / Clark County gone through permit process for an ADU (auxiliary dwelling unit)? If so, are you renting the ADU? Thank you for your time.

- Joe

Hi Joe,

I have a little experience in that I was trying to purchase a rental with an AUD unit on the site but learned I would not be able to legally rent it unless I lived in the primary house. Are you planning on building a new one on your primary? I know ADU units are much more common in Portland and the rules/permit process to be easier for rentals compared to Vancouver. Let me state though I am not up to date on the cities rules for ADUs. Curios to hear what you learn though.

Chad

@Chad D. ,

I see agents post listings with misleading descriptions stating the potential for duplex or ADU. I don't think they really know what that would entail or simply preying on ignorance. On my first property I considered converting the detached garage and/or the basement to an ADU. I did not due to permit requirements but mostly because I could not rent both out simultaneously. I was seeing if anyone has creating a legal ADU and rented both out. I know the county/city makes you sign a contract that you won't. I think it is to clear their liability encase of a accident or death. In that situation, I don't wont to be liable nor responsible myself.

We have a great ADU permitted in Vancouver that we rent for $900 per month plus utilities. We are also residents but when we sell we will pass the renter to the new resident. It also has a separate entrance to our house via a sound proof fire door in case the new owner wants a mother in law suite. Great concept but your right you cannot rent both legally. Jim Galligan

@Jim Galligan ,

Nice job! How much work did you put into the ADU (permitting, construction, time, etc..)?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here