Kids jumped off of roof

13 Replies

Tenant a is texting me that tenant b's kids just jumped off of the roof into tenant c's yard. What would you do? This kid and his friends have been a thorn in my side.

If the tennent is a month to month raise his rent to the maximum that your state allows. If it allows you to double it double it. Get him out. In the mean time have a friendly 'to the point" conversation that the next time his kids get on the roof...which by the way damages the roof he will be O U T ! Have a paper ready that if any party climbs on forbidden areas........the roof........that is reason for eviction. Be sure not to rat out your other neighbor.

First thing make sure your insurance policy is in good standing and in high amounts. Then verify that it actually happened. next read your rental lease agreement to make sure you have clause you can rely on if you are considering kicking them out. if the lease does not help you need to see when your current lease with them ends. Then go explain to the jumper's parents about how the child's actions are unsafe and not allowed, and to please take steps to correct it. It has been my experience that in most cases problem kids come from problem parents. This is not always true, but is common. Check out the rental unit to see if the kid is cutting holes in wall, breaking windows, etc. It is possible this was an isolated event. if more events occur evict them. You have an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Make him sign the paper !

First you need to find out how they got on the roof in the first place. It look like they are trying to make a quick buck.

Joe Gore

It's a triplex with 2 units above and one unit below. He climbed out his bedroom window onto the patio roof.

Talk to the parents and follow-up with a letter. I would tell tenant A to flash a picture for you if they see it again - that would be a useful thing..if its not too dark.

There should be some clause in your lease to cite when you are indicating that you are going to take action if the behavior doesn't cease. I would also inspect to see if there is an issue with damage in the unit. I am assuming a teen here and you could have some challenges yet to come so better to set expectations sooner. Not sure if they are just trying to get out (my sister used to do this) or taking a challenge from a peer. Dangerous particularly if underage drinking is also involved. A young child you could report the parents to CPS but they have so much to deal with I doubt it would go anywhere. (in the young child case I would think about a window guard).

When I read this one to my wife, she said that here, if the kids are minors, you could call social services (child protection) as the parents are not providing proper supervision. Of course, if the agency in your jurisdiction is as resource strapped as the one here ... it might be months before anyone looks into it.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

If you do report the parents to CPS make sure you don't do it annoyances just in case the parents want to sue you.

Joe Gore

Tell the parents that the child is only allowed to do it after he find a phone booths and changes first ;-)

Sorry, coudln't help myself with that one. I think phonebooths are a thing of the past. How would Superman fare today?

Ah, I did that as a kid, he's future Airborne material! Good training.

Follow Jerry's advice, I totally agree. Unless you didn't secure the fire escape or you left a ladder there I don't see you being negligent for their stupidity or training session, LOL. :)

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

I wonder did the owner go and talk to the parents to resolve the issue.

Joe Gore

Originally posted by @Michaela G. :
Tell the parents that the child is only allowed to do it after he find a phone booths and changes first ;-)

Sorry, coudln't help myself with that one. I think phonebooths are a thing of the past. How would Superman fare today?

Whats a phone booth?

If there jumping off the roof how does the inside of the unit look? How's the window screen doing on the window he climbed out off?