• Oak Park, MI
Votes |
Kitchen counter top, granite or formica

Roy Gutierrez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, MI
Posted Apr 15 2014, 22:17

I'm debating about what type of countertop to put in a mid-range rental (Oak Park, MI). I plan to rent for $1,100/month in an area that similar houses rent for 850-1,100 for this type of house, now this house is on a highway service drive and my plan is to keep it as a long term rental. Target renters are young professionals, graduate students, young professional couples.

I don't think the granite will add much to the rent other than maybe a renter liking it a little more/attracting better pool of renters, doubt anyone will pay more b/c of the service drive and no basement (crawlspace) and the mid-range area (keep in mind I'm a new fairly inexperienced investor, if anyone has experience in this area and wants to correct me please do so! :)). I did get a great quote from this guy, I told him I can't pay no more than 1,000 (about 35 sq ft of counterspace) and he can use remnants and even combine different stones as long as they were very similar, well he agreed. Now I'm feeling like I'm making a decision based on my heart and not on business principles. Now to get me more wind up I searched CL for this city and granite and found a handful of rentals with granite. I just don't see a target renter willing to pay even $25 more for granite in this area.

Someone slap me and give me some advice, thanks!

Loading replies...