What’s the Easiest Way to Stay Updated on Work Orders

What’s the Easiest Way to Stay Updated on Work Orders

Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone,

I’ve been managing a few rentals for a while now, and I still run into little day to day things that I haven’t quite figured out how to streamline. Lately the one that’s been bugging me is keeping track of maintenance follow ups. After I send something to a vendor, I never seem to know the best way to stay updated without feeling like I’m pestering them. I’ve tried email, texting, calling, even making little reminders for myself, and it still feels messier than it should.

I figured this community probably has more experience than I do, so I wanted to see how others handle this. Do you have a simple way to keep things moving without constantly chasing updates? Or is this just something everyone deals with and I’m overthinking it?

Happy to learn from whatever systems or habits you’ve found that actually work.

0Reply
60 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    If you have to follow up that many times, you don't have the right maintenance people. Part of your agreement with them should be to confirm when they have accepted the job, when it's scheduled for repair, and when it's complete. You aren't chasing updates, you are chasing people. If they people don't give you updates, they aren't the right people.

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    Good point. I might be blaming my system when the real issue is the vendors. I’ve never set clear expectations upfront, so the updates end up inconsistent. Do you usually put those requirements in writing or just discuss them when you start working with someone?

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    10mo

    Building good relationships with your vendors can go a long way. Clear communication about expectations and deadlines can foster a more efficient process. Sometimes, a quick conversation about how both parties can streamline communication can yield surprisingly effective results.

    Have you tried setting up a shared digital workspace or platform where both you and the vendors can update the status of maintenance tasks. This can help mainstream maintenance follow-ups, and track progress in real-time without having to directly contact the vendor repeatedly.

    Another option is to establish a routine check-in schedule. Instead of reaching out randomly, set specific days and times to follow up, which can help reduce your anxiety about pestering them. You might also consider using automated reminders or notifications through these platforms to alert you when a task is overdue, making it less about manual chasing and more about structured oversight.


  • Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10mo

    So we custom built a solution within air table to help us with this as we have an internal project manager on our team.  I think what Jonathan and the others are spot on.

    If a vendor isn't living up to your expectations, its on you if you haven't set the expectation of what you want.  If you have set the expectation of what you want and they aren't obliging? Guess what - its on you as you are the one putting up with a vendor you are paying not doing what you want. 

    At that point the answer is easy just find someone else who's willing to do what you need them to do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.