How to add a roommate after a lease is made

7 Replies

I have a tenant that can afford my SFH, but he told us he would eventually like to have a roommate. We will have him sign a one year lease. If he finds a suitable roommate that also meets our criteria how should I add him in? Do I write a new lease including the new person with whatever remaining months are on the original lease?

So for example he signs a lease now and in three months he gets a roommate. Do I then write a new lease for the two of them for nine months?

Ok, so answer this - what happens if your tenant moves out but the roommate stays - and stops paying rent?

who will put up the deposit? how will it get released? what if the first tenant moves out and the second tenant gets a new roommate?

check to find out If you add the roommate, you can bind him/her to the terms of the original contract without creating a new lease so that both/either one is responsible for the property and the deposit release and any additional changes in tenancy requires your approval. Both roommates would need to agree to this.

If you already have a lease with the tenant that does not include this, you may be able to add a page and have both of them sign it.

PS this is not legal advice. Please check with tenant/landlord laws in your state or get professional/legal advice.

Add him jointly to the current lease, by addendum.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :
Add him jointly to the current lease, by addendum.

Wayne can you please give me the wording of such an addendum?

Originally posted by @Michael C. :
Ok, so answer this - what happens if your tenant moves out but the roommate stays - and stops paying rent?

I always have both tenants as "joint and several" so the one who stays would have to pay it all.

How about doing a month to month lease instead of a year?

Originally posted by @Mike S :
How about doing a month to month lease instead of a year?

I like having that commitment of 12 months of money. Some landlords like monthly, but I usually do one year terms.

I think as Wayne said you can add a new roommate and amend the existing lease with an addendum.

I would also screen the new roommate and make the addition of this roommate contingent upon him passing your screening.

Also will have to make it clear to your tenant and new roommate that once he is added he inherits "everything".

If your current tenant has damaged a wall or soiled the carpet prior to the roommate's occupancy, this roommate is now liable to these damages. If he owes any late fees, bad check fines etc...the new roommate is now also responsible.

You might have received $2000 from your current tenant as a security deposit, when the lease is up the security deposit would be returned to both of them, not the current tenant.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.