Cheap Land due diligence checklist After Analyzing 50+ rural Parcels, Anything else?

Cheap Land due diligence checklist After Analyzing 50+ rural Parcels, Anything else?

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

I’ve been studying cheap rural land over the past few months — mostly in PA, NY, TN, NC, WV, and TX — trying to understand why some parcels are great deals and others are disasters.

After reviewing 50+ parcels, I built a simple Due Diligence Checklist that helps me quickly filter land before making offers.

Here’s the shortlist so far:

 1. Legal Access (recorded, not assumed)

I’m seeing tons of parcels advertised as ‘road access’ even though there’s no recorded ROW.

2. Flood Zone + Wetlands

More properties than expected have >50% flood coverage or hidden wetlands.

3. Zoning Check

Especially important for tiny homes, cabins, RV use, short-term rentals, or off-grid builds.

4. Slope / Terrain

Listings hide slope. Topo maps don’t.

 5. Soil / Perc Feasibility

Many cheap parcels fail here without buyers knowing.

 6. Utility Distance

Cost to run power can make or break a deal.

I built this so I don’t waste time on landlocked or unbuildable parcels — but I’m curious what experienced land investors here would add.

Questions for the group:

  • What red flags do YOU check before buying cheap land?
  • Which issues are deal-breakers vs. solvable?
  • Do you use specific tools for quick due diligence?

If anyone wants to see or use the checklist, I’m happy to share it.
I’m also working on a Google Form to help analyze parcels faster — still tweaking it.

0Reply
24 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.