List of why some Landlords don't screen tenants

15 Replies

I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of why some landlords don't screen tenants. Obviously, I'm trying to convey to new landlords the absolute need to screen.

1. The LL's are blithering idiots

2. They are slumlords

3. they are too new and don't understand or haven't felt the need to screen.

4. Are in a desperate situation and have to take the first warm body with the rent money

5. Are accidental landlords and are just happy someone is supposedly going to be helping pay one of their two mortgages.

6. Didn't know to require the PM to screen.

7. The government is paying the rent.

I'm sure there are a lot more. Please feel free to add.

- they're lazy

- they can just tell that the prospective tenant " is a really nice guy."

- they don't want to pay for a credit check or background check

• they are really good at reading people.
  • They can move in tomorrow
  • Each showing uses up three hours of their time due to the 35 mile drive to the property.

When I first started renting I followed advice on here and books I read and everything went good. The last few tenants I have gotten lax on the screening and have had some bad luck with my 2 of my units. Lesson learned follow the process. Sometimes you have to fail to succeed!

• It takes too much time!
  • I don't know how to do it.
  • They are my friend's daughter, a waiter at my favorite restaurant, referred by a church member, a co-worker, (or from another "reliable" reference.)
  • I'm a good judge of character.
  • I don't have a computer, fax, or phone.
  • I feel uncomfortable asking so many personal questions.
  • I don't like confrontation.
  • An empty house may attract vandals, better get it rented quickly.
  • They have cash in hand to pay 6 months rent in advance and I am way behind on my mortgage payment.
  • [The landlord hasn't seen the film "Pacific Heights"]

**FULL disclosure, I also own a tenant screening company **

-Too cheap

-In a rush -As previous poster said, would rather have warm body and cash payment yesterday

-They think their instinct is good enough (sadly, a lot of landlords don't start screening until AFTER they've had a bad experience)

-Tenant was referred by a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend

- The mentality of "Okay, applicant seemingly has a decent job (or nice car, etc.), so what else could I possible need to know about them?"

I could go on and on and on....

You left out the most sinister one:

You are a house flipper selling a home turnkey and ant to have above market renter to raise your selling price.

Originally posted by @Kris Taylor :
**FULL disclosure, I also own a tenant screening company **

-Too cheap

-In a rush -As previous poster said, would rather have warm body and cash payment yesterday

-They think their instinct is good enough (sadly, a lot of landlords don't start screening until AFTER they've had a bad experience)

-Tenant was referred by a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend

- The mentality of "Okay, applicant seemingly has a decent job (or nice car, etc.), so what else could I possible need to know about them?"

I could go on and on and on....

Feel very free to go on and on.

What's funny is I knew a landlord in an investing club that used to do astrology readings to determine if the tenants were good so:

• if the astrological stars align, there's no need to screen
Originally posted by @Will F. :
What's funny is I knew a landlord in an investing club that used to do astrology readings to determine if the tenants were good so:
  • if the astrological stars align, there's no need to screen

Do you think Vincent Van Gogh waited until the stars were perfectly aligned for to paint that? :)

They are a new school teacher, I know, they have a job for 1 year, I know they have had a background check. This one has actually worked out for me lately.

They're renting to family, friends of family, or friends

@Jerry W.

Hopefully your tenant won't be like the teacher recently fired in Dekalb County, GA who had been here four years. Before that he was banned for life from teaching in Florida after being charged with sexually abusing a student, but Horace Morris managed to get a classroom job in Georgia. Students googled him and reported it to school officials. Who supposedly had finally figured it out also at the same time.

I also worked with a bunch of people with top secret clearances, I would have screened them also.

@Cal C. hopefully not hehe, especially since I do all the child molester prosecution in my county. Would hate to put my own tenant in jail, but have done it before.

Many landlords in my neck of the woods will say they screen with their "gut"..which may explain why the eviction rate around here is so high. I suspect like tenants there are a fair number of local landlords who aren't on the internet and have no idea about online screening companies.

I did point out to one landlord that his "gut" screening techniques didn't work so well in his personal life since he was going through his fourth divorce and that perhaps he might consider this method wasn't the best when choosing tenants either.

Gail

@Gail K. LOL! Four divorces and counting while evicting who knows how many gut checked tenants.

I think Kris Taylor needs to advertise at your next REIA meeting.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide