Texas deadbolts?

8 Replies

I'm closing on my first rental property tomorrow. The first thing I want to do after closing, is change the locks. I've heard that in Texas, a rental must have a single sided deadbolt (where the deadbolt locks ONLY by means of an inside lever). Is this true when both a deadbolt and locking knob already exist? I ask because neither of the exterior doors currently have such a deadbolt and the property has been rented out for some time.

Thanks in advance!

From what I understand, the requirement is for a keyless deadbolt. The keyed one is irrelevant if you have a locking door knob. Don't forget your peep hole too. There is actually another device you can use instead of a keyless deadbolt. They sell them at home depot but I can't remember their name off the top of my head.

Take a look at http://www.texaspropertycode.org/ . There is a video on what is required. It talks about them around the 5 minute mark. I did install them on 1 property. They are easy to install.

don't forget your smoke detectors too.

Code is below:

I'd also suggest getting kwickset smartkey locks installed.

Congratulations on your first deal, that's exciting!

Are you saying they already have keyed deadbolts? The deadbolts that require a key on both sides are more secure, but are a serious risk in case of fire or emergency. Imagine being inside with a fire and not being able to get to the key.

Originally posted by @Shawn Thom :
I'd also suggest getting kwickset smartkey locks installed.

I'm considering them after watching videos on the rekeying method. Thanks for the link as well! Very informative. Have you used Texas Rekey? I'm debating on whether I want to DIY or pay someone.

@Jean Bolger I think fire code actually has forced the requirement of a keyless deadbolt for that very reason. At least in TX.

What exactly constitutes an exterior door? Is a door between the garage and house considered an exterior door?

Originally posted by @Bryce Y. :
What exactly constitutes an exterior door? Is a door between the garage and house considered an exterior door?

From what I have read and understand, yes it does. I have a house where the garage has been permanently enclosed and exterior garage doors no longer open, so i am not counting that one. Other houses where garage doors can open I put the locks on.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
I'm considering them after watching videos on the rekeying method. Thanks for the link as well! Very informative. Have you used Texas Rekey? I'm debating on whether I want to DIY or pay someone.

I have not used a locksmith to rekey. Assuming your house is fairly recently built and has the newer size holes for a door knob, changing locks is pretty easy. Once you put in kwikset you can change keys in a few seconds. I have 2 houses from the 50s and they apparently had different sized door knob holes.

Also, here is the device I was talking about that you can use instead of a keyless deadbolt. They sell them at home depot and lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/Ez-Flo-56035-Texas-Bolt-Brass/dp/B00GHSJIZC

Originally posted by @Shawn Thom :
Originally posted by @Rick Reed:

I have not used a locksmith to rekey. Assuming your house is fairly recently built and has the newer size holes for a door knob, changing locks is pretty easy. Once you put in kwikset you can change keys in a few seconds. I have 2 houses from the 50s and they apparently had different sized door knob holes.

Also, here is the device I was talking about that you can use instead of a keyless deadbolt. They sell them at home depot and lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/Ez-Flo-56035-Texas-Bolt-Brass/dp/B00GHSJIZC

Thank you very much, Shawn.

I just closed and now I'm off to HD for new locks.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.