Tenants already in newly acquired property

3 Replies

If I were to buy a duplex with the intentions of rehabbing and raising the rent, but both units have renters in them for the past 5 years what is the best option?? I was thinking of maybe informing them of what I plan to do and possibly have them renovated while the tenants still lived there, but if they do not agree to this is my only option to evict them or is there some legal protection that allows me to kick them out when I acquire the new property??

You have to honor existing leases and conform to applicable laws. Beyond that you can raise rents with proper notice.

Just kicking them out is against the law and should be against your sense of ethics. If it were me I would scrutinize them both - as I would if they were coming to rent from me for the first time. Then I would choose the best tenant and advise the other tenant that I would not be renewing their lease. Another factor of course might be that one's lease is ending in two months and the other's lease is ending in two years - I would also factor that into my considering who the best tenant was. <g>

stephen
-------------

Originally posted by @Dusty Warner :
If I were to buy a duplex with the intentions of rehabbing and raising the rent, but both units have renters in them for the past 5 years what is the best option?? I was thinking of maybe informing them of what I plan to do and possibly have them renovated while the tenants still lived there, but if they do not agree to this is my only option to evict them or is there some legal protection that allows me to kick them out when I acquire the new property??

Thanks Guys!!... Years ago I had a rental and I didn't know anything about how to screen tenants or legal ways of going about problems, which is one reason im here. I've had to "kick people out" on a few occasions because of the total disrespect of my property, so in that case it did not bother my sense of ethics in the least, but I understand what your saying Stephen and Ill be sure to try to use the proper wordage next time:) Thanks,Dusty