Tenant unhappy w/ hot water

Tenant unhappy w/ hot water

Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes

I have an over/under quad circa 1920 with two water heaters that serve two units (above and below), each located on the ground floor. One was on its last legs and the above tenant was complaining about not having hot water, so I replaced it with a Reem with the same size tank (29 gallon). I choose to replace it with the same gallon capacity because where it is installed is crammed against a bunch of other things and it was a tight fit. Plus I assumed the hot water the original heater provided was, until recently, adequate (although I am not entirely certain because the upstairs tenant left shortly after I acquired the place for reasons not related to the water). 

The upstairs tenant continues to complain about there not being enough hot water-- only 10 minutes and only when the downstairs tenant is not using it. I had the guy who installed it tweak the sensors, up the heat level, and put in more efficient showerheads. She continues to complain. This situation has gone on for months and I am afraid she will move out and I will be in the same situation with the next tenant. It cost about $2500 to replace the water heater. To put in a new one with a larger tank will be about $3000 and the size would add an extra inch or so to an already tight fit. What should I do? 

1Reply
447 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8mo

@Emily B., a few thoughts:

1. A 29 gallon water heater is SMALL. It would be barely sufficient for 1 person and even for 1 person less than idea. Probably better off for something like rustic cabin or something. 

2. A 29 gallon tank is not all there is. I'm assuming this is an electric water heater. The tank size is one factor, but also the wattage will tell you how fast water will heat up. So, you may have replaced with a 29 gallon tank with lower wattage and therefore slower to heat. 

3. A 10 minute shower sounds about right, especially if they like the water HOT. The temp they like the water will also affect the run time. So, if they like it hotter it won't last as long. 

4. Why did it cost you $2500 to replace a water heater? I think someone took advantage of you there. A basic hot water heater replacement in my area would be $1000-1500 depending on a few things. For example, if you buy a water heater with a longer warranty they are more expensive or if you need to replace the expansion tank etc along with it. $2500 is OUTRAGEOUS, in my opinion. 

The cheapest 40 gallon water heaters from Home Depot are about $400. So, when you factor in the few other parts and labor. A cheap water heater should around that $1000 range maybe even slightly less if you use a handyman instead of a plumber. 

5. If natural gas is available, a better solution would be an on demand hot water heater. Electric ones don't work as well from what I have heard. 

However, be prepared for more water usage. I'm assuming water is included in the rent. 

6. If I was using a tank water heater for 2 units, I would use a 50 gallon to serve up to 4 total bedrooms or better yet I would have two 40 gallon units, one for each unit. That could be a prelude to separating utilities as well so that the tenant could pay for their own. 

7. Space is space. If there isn't space where it is, make space somewhere else. If its a utility closet, expand the closet or make a 2nd closet nearby. Some very basic apartments have the water heater right in the kitchen, although I think that is not at all what people want to see. 

8. In case I wasn't clear. I would NEVER hire that plumber again! Shop around and find a better provider. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Emily B., a few thoughts:

    1. A 29 gallon water heater is SMALL. It would be barely sufficient for 1 person and even for 1 person less than idea. Probably better off for something like rustic cabin or something. 

    2. A 29 gallon tank is not all there is. I'm assuming this is an electric water heater. The tank size is one factor, but also the wattage will tell you how fast water will heat up. So, you may have replaced with a 29 gallon tank with lower wattage and therefore slower to heat. 

    3. A 10 minute shower sounds about right, especially if they like the water HOT. The temp they like the water will also affect the run time. So, if they like it hotter it won't last as long. 

    4. Why did it cost you $2500 to replace a water heater? I think someone took advantage of you there. A basic hot water heater replacement in my area would be $1000-1500 depending on a few things. For example, if you buy a water heater with a longer warranty they are more expensive or if you need to replace the expansion tank etc along with it. $2500 is OUTRAGEOUS, in my opinion. 

    The cheapest 40 gallon water heaters from Home Depot are about $400. So, when you factor in the few other parts and labor. A cheap water heater should around that $1000 range maybe even slightly less if you use a handyman instead of a plumber. 

    5. If natural gas is available, a better solution would be an on demand hot water heater. Electric ones don't work as well from what I have heard. 

    However, be prepared for more water usage. I'm assuming water is included in the rent. 

    6. If I was using a tank water heater for 2 units, I would use a 50 gallon to serve up to 4 total bedrooms or better yet I would have two 40 gallon units, one for each unit. That could be a prelude to separating utilities as well so that the tenant could pay for their own. 

    7. Space is space. If there isn't space where it is, make space somewhere else. If its a utility closet, expand the closet or make a 2nd closet nearby. Some very basic apartments have the water heater right in the kitchen, although I think that is not at all what people want to see. 

    8. In case I wasn't clear. I would NEVER hire that plumber again! Shop around and find a better provider. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8mo

    Everything @Kevin Sobilo said. I complain when I pay $1,200 for a 50 gallon, I didn’t even know you could buy less than a 40 gallon tank. The second the tenant complained with the new water heater you should have had original installer take the 29 back in return and replaced it. 

    In the winter they are probably burning through the first 5 - 10 gallons getting water from the heater through the cold pipes to the fixture.  Now multiply that by 2 units. If it’s electric can you look in to the heat pump units. Maybe get a rebate room power company or government, save enough on utilities to help offset cost?


    Either way, take that unit out and replace it with at least a 5o gallon. If the original installer won’t take it back never use them again and get a couple quote from other companies. Heck, even Lowe’s or Home Depot should be less than that installed. Good luck. 

  • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    A couple of things: 

    1) I checked my records and the cost of the water heater installed was closer to $1600 ($600 for heater, $1000 for install) 

    2) The water heater is gas. The is no electric back up.

    Based on your feedback, I need to replace it with a bigger one -- at least 40-- and if it doesn't fit, do some creative carpentry. 

    • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Emily B.:

      A couple of things: 

      1) I checked my records and the cost of the water heater installed was closer to $1600 ($600 for heater, $1000 for install) 

      2) The water heater is gas. The is no electric back up.

      Based on your feedback, I need to replace it with a bigger one -- at least 40-- and if it doesn't fit, do some creative carpentry. 


      You could just go with an on demand gas heater since you already have gas and a vent at that location. Then you would have infinite hot water. That is SMALLER than a tank style water heater.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8mo

    Sweet. 1) You didn’t get ripped off. 2) Gas is waaaay cheaper to run and should be cheaper to install “at a distance”.  3) Assuming a 75 gallon is too expensive, go with the 50 gallon. It MIGHT be $100 more than the 40 gallon. It might be the same price. It’s not the steel tank that’s expensive. 

    I don’t remember the 2 ratings but if you do any research you can find them and do some comparisons. I believe one is just efficiency. (It will have that familiar cost per year sticker on it. (Better insulated to keep heat in.) But to you the important one will be called “first hour gallons” or something like that. It refers to how many gallons of hot water it can deliver when starting with a tank full of hot water before the water turns colder. (The number should be higher than tank capacity as bigger burners can keep up longer.) good luck. 

  • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8mo

    Thanks Bill. 

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    8mo

    Go the $3k route, less headache in the long run! Good luck & happy investing!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73304 Reviews
  • Ben FernandezBusiness Member
    Realtor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2025 · 169 posts · 97 votes
    8mo

    Depending on how many occupants are in each unit (or the amount bedrooms in each), you'd need to double your current capacity (at least) if you plan to reconcile the issue. 

    Normally, a 40 gallon tank is used for up to 2 people, 3 max. 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    8mo

    @Emily B. I would agree with the 40 Gallon route. I also live/work in VA so happy to share some contacts on vendors if you need an extra opinion/option!

    • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Alex Melara:

      @Emily B. I would agree with the 40 Gallon route. I also live/work in VA so happy to share some contacts on vendors if you need an extra opinion/option!

      Thank you!!
  • Member since 2025 · 322 posts · 120 votes
    8mo
    I just got a 50 gallon one from Home Depot last week, cost around $620. Hired a plumber to install it ($500), even though a handyman placed a bid at $250.
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    I have a few studios. I use 20's in them. Sometimes I get a request for more hot water, but I won't change it, and I'm very clear before signing what the typical shower length is.  A 40 gal for two single people is pushing it typically. Unless you're trying to limit water usage, or number of inhabitants. Be clear what you're offering in your lease so there's no misunderstanding.  I have one super small studio with a 7 gallon that fits under the ktichen sink! The old WH space became closet space. 3 minute shower. You're in the army now! Tenant loves it.  People adjust. You set the terms. Just be upfront.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    No 40 or 60 gallon WH should be over a $1000 to install.  Easiest thing in the world to do.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8mo

    Check the temperature setting on the hot water tank.  Also when you go to replace the next one, check into hot water on demand-the system is small and they won't run out of hot water.

    • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
      7mo

      Yikes. That's a great point re: insurance. I'm not sure if the price limitation pertains to Virginia (?) 

    • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Theresa Harris:

      Check the temperature setting on the hot water tank.  Also when you go to replace the next one, check into hot water on demand-the system is small and they won't run out of hot water.

      Thanks-- will do. 
    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Emily B.:

      Yikes. That's a great point re: insurance. I'm not sure if the price limitation pertains to Virginia (?) 

      Virginia has a $1,000 limit on any work a handyman can do. Above that you must have a contractor's license.
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Had similar issue in a duplex - 29 gallons for two units is pushing it, especially with older plumbing that takes longer to get hot water upstairs. Quick check: is the upstairs unit getting 120°F at the tap? Sometimes the issue isn't tank size but heat loss in the lines. Insulating the hot water pipes between floors helped me buy time before upgrading. Have you tested actual temp at her fixtures?

    • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 6 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bo Smith:

      Had similar issue in a duplex - 29 gallons for two units is pushing it, especially with older plumbing that takes longer to get hot water upstairs. Quick check: is the upstairs unit getting 120°F at the tap? Sometimes the issue isn't tank size but heat loss in the lines. Insulating the hot water pipes between floors helped me buy time before upgrading. Have you tested actual temp at her fixtures?

      That's an interesting idea. I'll look into it. Thanks! 
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    7mo

    Everything above ^^^^ great advice!

    I would not have a handyman install a water heater...even though they may be capable of the task, if you have an issue (let's say a fire) your Insurance (and the Fire Dept) might give you grief.

    Plus in many states, an unlicensed Handyman is not allowed to do projects with a value of over $500, or $1000.

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Confirm your shower diverter is set correctly. From the factory they make them cold so no ever get burned but they will make a huge difference in the amount of hot water goes to the shower head vs cold water.

  • Property Manager · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    7mo

    If this was my own personal property I would go out with a tempurature probe (thermometer) and run the shower with the tenant standing there. 30 gallons of water through an efficient shower head (1.5gal/minute) that should be 20 minutes of the hottest setting you have it "tweaked to". 

    Also tenants complain about hot water times to get better deal on rent, this sounds like a pain point to you, maybe a management company who has less emotion invested into the property would be beneficial. I say this as a property manager, I have heard complaints from tenants only to repair because the owner doesn't want to lose them, then they move anyway. Restore the properrty to the condition it was in when the lease was signed. Verify that the Hot Water Heater is functioning correctly and move on.

    This is the only way to be helpful and professional, stick to your lease.

  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 534 posts · 204 votes
    7mo

    29 gallons is just too small for two units, especially with older plumbing. Even with efficient showerheads and higher temps, it’s unlikely to satisfy the upstairs tenant. I’d go with at least a 40 or 50-gallon tank, or consider two separate tanks, one for each unit, if space allows.

    Since it’s gas, an on-demand unit could also work and save space while giving effectively unlimited hot water, though the upfront cost is higher. Make sure the plumber is licensed, handymen might not cut it for insurance reasons. Also, check the actual temp at the fixtures and consider insulating the lines to reduce heat loss. At this point, replacing it with the correct size is probably the only way to avoid ongoing complaints.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7221 Reviews
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7mo

    A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

    I would go over and time it with a thermometer 

    • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

      I would go over and time it with a thermometer 


       Another thing to check after talking with my plumber . Make sure that the unit was installed correctly , cold going in the cold side , and not reversed

    • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

      I would go over and time it with a thermometer 


      I understand where you get your math from. 29 gallons/2 gallons per min = 14.5 minutes. 

      However, it won't quite work that way in reality. While a tank style water heater will try to stratify (layer) hot and cold water to keep them from mixing right away by the time you use most of the tank of hot water the water will be well mixed. 

      So, in a perfect world, they will get 14.5 minutes of hot water, but when you factor in the mixing going on inside the tank, plus loss from running water initially to warm up the pipes etc they probably only get 8-10 minutes of full hot water. 

      Yes, IF the temp on the hot water heater is turned up so they can mix some cold water in, that will extend it, but NOT up to 50% like you suggest. To do, that they would need to heat the water in the tank WELL above the boiling point. Raising the temp will get a LITTLE more run time, not a LOT more run time. I would guess in the neighborhood of 5-10% max (maybe 1 minute or so)

      So, their 10 minute estimate sounds very reasonable and likely very much on point. 

      There is no reason to get this analytical or to go measure time and temp, a 29 gallon tank is grossly insufficient for 2 units. It would be BARELY sufficient for a single 1 bedroom unit and not even ideal for that. Its ideal use case is probably for a cabin, workshop, or other lower volume situation.

    • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

      I would go over and time it with a thermometer 


      I understand where you get your math from. 29 gallons/2 gallons per min = 14.5 minutes. 

      However, it won't quite work that way in reality. While a tank style water heater will try to stratify (layer) hot and cold water to keep them from mixing right away by the time you use most of the tank of hot water the water will be well mixed. 

      So, in a perfect world, they will get 14.5 minutes of hot water, but when you factor in the mixing going on inside the tank, plus loss from running water initially to warm up the pipes etc they probably only get 8-10 minutes of full hot water. 

      Yes, IF the temp on the hot water heater is turned up so they can mix some cold water in, that will extend it, but NOT up to 50% like you suggest. To do, that they would need to heat the water in the tank WELL above the boiling point. Raising the temp will get a LITTLE more run time, not a LOT more run time. I would guess in the neighborhood of 5-10% max (maybe 1 minute or so)

      So, their 10 minute estimate sounds very reasonable and likely very much on point. 

      There is no reason to get this analytical or to go measure time and temp, a 29 gallon tank is grossly insufficient for 2 units. It would be BARELY sufficient for a single 1 bedroom unit and not even ideal for that. Its ideal use case is probably for a cabin, workshop, or other lower volume situation.


       She said they have 2 water heaters , 1 for each unit . 

    • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:
      Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

      I would go over and time it with a thermometer 


      I understand where you get your math from. 29 gallons/2 gallons per min = 14.5 minutes. 

      However, it won't quite work that way in reality. While a tank style water heater will try to stratify (layer) hot and cold water to keep them from mixing right away by the time you use most of the tank of hot water the water will be well mixed. 

      So, in a perfect world, they will get 14.5 minutes of hot water, but when you factor in the mixing going on inside the tank, plus loss from running water initially to warm up the pipes etc they probably only get 8-10 minutes of full hot water. 

      Yes, IF the temp on the hot water heater is turned up so they can mix some cold water in, that will extend it, but NOT up to 50% like you suggest. To do, that they would need to heat the water in the tank WELL above the boiling point. Raising the temp will get a LITTLE more run time, not a LOT more run time. I would guess in the neighborhood of 5-10% max (maybe 1 minute or so)

      So, their 10 minute estimate sounds very reasonable and likely very much on point. 

      There is no reason to get this analytical or to go measure time and temp, a 29 gallon tank is grossly insufficient for 2 units. It would be BARELY sufficient for a single 1 bedroom unit and not even ideal for that. Its ideal use case is probably for a cabin, workshop, or other lower volume situation.


       She said they have 2 water heaters , 1 for each unit . 


      I'm sorry, I made a mistake on that detail. This post is somewhat old. Everything else I said stands the same. That detail doesn't change any of the other points I tried to make. 
    • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:
      Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:
      Quote from @Matthew Paul:

      A shower head uses 2.0 gallons per minute , The tenant would have 14 minutes of hot water at that rate on a single 29 gallon tank , if they were ONLY running straight hot . Mixing with the cold would probably get another 5 to 7 minutes . Either there is an issue with the plumbing or the tenant is getting more than 10 minutes of time . 

      I would go over and time it with a thermometer 


      I understand where you get your math from. 29 gallons/2 gallons per min = 14.5 minutes. 

      However, it won't quite work that way in reality. While a tank style water heater will try to stratify (layer) hot and cold water to keep them from mixing right away by the time you use most of the tank of hot water the water will be well mixed. 

      So, in a perfect world, they will get 14.5 minutes of hot water, but when you factor in the mixing going on inside the tank, plus loss from running water initially to warm up the pipes etc they probably only get 8-10 minutes of full hot water. 

      Yes, IF the temp on the hot water heater is turned up so they can mix some cold water in, that will extend it, but NOT up to 50% like you suggest. To do, that they would need to heat the water in the tank WELL above the boiling point. Raising the temp will get a LITTLE more run time, not a LOT more run time. I would guess in the neighborhood of 5-10% max (maybe 1 minute or so)

      So, their 10 minute estimate sounds very reasonable and likely very much on point. 

      There is no reason to get this analytical or to go measure time and temp, a 29 gallon tank is grossly insufficient for 2 units. It would be BARELY sufficient for a single 1 bedroom unit and not even ideal for that. Its ideal use case is probably for a cabin, workshop, or other lower volume situation.


       She said they have 2 water heaters , 1 for each unit . 


      I'm sorry, I made a mistake on that detail. This post is somewhat old. Everything else I said stands the same. That detail doesn't change any of the other points I tried to make. 

       I get it . 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.