Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 522 posts · 89 votes
Hi,
I saw one single family listing with basement. I see description like sump pump installed. I had lot of issues in past with crawlspace home where lot of rain street drainage water going into crawlspace. Also seems somes sub surface water is also coming . I have to put multiple sump pumps in each corner to pump out water. Is it similar issues in this house as well. Is it better to avoid basement home and focus on slab house. Simple maintenance better for me. Please advise
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7mo
Sump pumps do not solve any problem, they only address the symptom. It does not matter if slab or full basement, as far as water intrusion goes either type of construction can suffer from serious water intrusion. Except in rare circumstances, the water gets in due to poor exterior drainage and poor or failed exterior waterproofing. Grading the landscape to change the natural direction of flow, and ensuring the grade is higher AT the foundation, than it is for some distance away from the foundation, can solve most drainage issues. Sometimes it is as simple as extending, or redirecting, roof gutter downspouts. Foundations can be re-waterproofed properly ONLY by digging down to footings on the exterior, and re-coating with the proper products.
One additional issue to be aware of with slab homes, is that typically plumbing waste AND supply lines are often buried in the slab, running clear to the farthest point. That same slab's concrete eats at galvanized, iron, cast, and copper pipes over time, and WILL need to be jackhammered out and replaced at some point.
I think this is a regional thing. In Canada most homes have a full basement and newer homes where I am all require sump pumps...doesn't mean they go off, but you have to have them. The basement adds a lot of extra living space to a home and can be used as a separate rental (quite common in rentals where I am).
If you are in an area with poor drainage, look at how the land is sloped relative to the home and where down spouts drain. It is easy to extend downspouts and ensure surface water isn't a problem.
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7mo
@Gp G.
Although, water intrusion is a reality, having the ability to add extra living space is a definite plus. I’ve done many finished basements and have added value to the property.
Water is your worst enemy. It destroys finished areas and causes mold if not treated. I have put in many water proof systems and they work. You just have to be prepared for the cost.
The value add is not same as area above grade. Done right, I have gotten my return back by finishing the basement and buyers and renters love the extra space. It doesn’t have to be extravagant just clean and functional. Have a sump pump with battery backup.
As others have said, check the grades, down spout discharges, high water table and other property issues that cause water intrusion.