Tenant Got Shot - Would you let them pay rent a few weeks later?

Tenant Got Shot - Would you let them pay rent a few weeks later?

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 61 votes

Hey all,

I have been self managing my own portfolio in the rougher parts of East Cleveland. 

Delinquency has become the biggest difference between profitability and barely breaking even.

Every month, there are a few residents can't pay rent on time and every now and then the explanation makes me hesitant to stick to our usual delinquency policies. 

The latest reason was a tenant's boyfriend shot her and she hasn't been able to work. In this case, she even provided the evidence for it. She asked for a couple weeks to catch up on rent.

I was wondering if you ever allow tenants to pay rent weeks later if something happens to them. In these cases, do you still serve eviction notices and proceed with eviction? 

I appreciate any help on this!

2Reply
472 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 7 votes
6mo

I'm going to play devil's advocate here only because I do understand and am all for protecting yourself in this scenario and protecting your finances, but lack of sympathy doesn't exactly belong in this situation just from a human being standpoint. You've mentioned she's been a solid tenant up until this point and she has the evidence to show this truly did happen and isn't some excuse PLUS she proactively asked for some extra time to catch up. Why in the world is the first thought "should I evict her" instead of "is she okay"? She hasn't been a problem for you in the past and I agree with Janice that the history matters significantly and everything should be documented and clear but should be a realistic timeline that can reasonably met that you both agree on.

I'm sure Richard's assumption comes from some sort of past experience with a similar tenant situation but at the same time you can't possibly screen better to eliminate the risk of tenants that are the victim of domestic violence and a little grace in these situations goes a long way which could result in a long term solid tenant that respects you instead of a revolving door. Would you rather remove a tenant with a solid history over one hiccup that likely wasn't her fault in exchange for a potential replacement problem tenant? If your best friend, mother, sister, daughter, etc, were in the same position would you accept the same advice? 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    Golan, that is definitely a tough situation. How long has she been a tenant and has her rent always been on time? That history matters. You can show empathy while still protecting your business. If she has been a solid tenant, you might consider a short, documented payment plan but still follow your standard process including required notices. Consistency is key, otherwise it can quickly impact your overall delinquency.

    • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 61 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Golan, that is definitely a tough situation. How long has she been a tenant and has her rent always been on time? That history matters. You can show empathy while still protecting your business. If she has been a solid tenant, you might consider a short, documented payment plan but still follow your standard process including required notices. Consistency is key, otherwise it can quickly impact your overall delinquency.

      Hey Janice, great point yeah some tenants have a different reason every month but this case it was a one off. 

      for the payment plan, that’s a good idea. Just divide it up over a few months basically right? 
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Golan Corshidi  Exactly. Spread the balance over the next couple of months in addition to current rent and put it in writing with clear due dates. Also include what happens if they default so expectations are clear on both sides.

    • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 61 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Golan Corshidi  Exactly. Spread the balance over the next couple of months in addition to current rent and put it in writing with clear due dates. Also include what happens if they default so expectations are clear on both sides.

      Very helpful thank you! 
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    So, now you know what kind of people she hangs with, and you still want her at your property? Putting neighbors, Vendors, and potentially yourself at greater risk? Just a wild guess, but has the boyfriend spent the night there? What if they reconcile, which is more likely than not (and I will never understand why), he spends more time there, and then she moves out, leaving him for you to deal with.

    I guarantee it is cheaper to initiate the termination process today, than it will be in "a couple weeks". 

    Screen Better!

    • Theresa HarrisPro Member
      Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      So, now you know what kind of people she hangs with, and you still want her at your property? Putting neighbors, Vendors, and potentially yourself at greater risk? Just a wild guess, but has the boyfriend spent the night there? What if they reconcile, which is more likely than not (and I will never understand why), he spends more time there, and then she moves out, leaving him for you to deal with.

      I guarantee it is cheaper to initiate the termination process today, than it will be in "a couple weeks". 

      Screen Better!


       Domestic violence is a huge problem. I wouldn't assume that she's hanging out with a rough crowd.  She could be, but that wouldn't be my default assumption in a case like this.

    • Lender · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 125 posts · 64 votes
      6mo

      @Richard F. In East Cleveland this is considered a good tenant 🤣

    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Michael Wyatt:

      @Richard F. In East Cleveland this is considered a good tenant 🤣

      Well, I could share some stories from my earlier days in an actual Midwestern City, where my response would absolutely be the same. In any price/property tier, there are good Tenants and Bad, you need to put forth the effort to get, and keep, the best of the available.

      While I do understand @Theresa Harris comment on DV, and, in fact, these days there are specific rules concerning that in some jurisdictions, it is still unacceptable for the reasons I mentioned previously. My concern would be repeat, or escalating, issues, regardless of which party was instigator.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Golan Corshidi:

    Hey all,

    I have been self managing my own portfolio in the rougher parts of East Cleveland. 

    Delinquency has become the biggest difference between profitability and barely breaking even.

    Every month, there are a few residents can't pay rent on time and every now and then the explanation makes me hesitant to stick to our usual delinquency policies. 

    The latest reason was a tenant's boyfriend shot her and she hasn't been able to work. In this case, she even provided the evidence for it. She asked for a couple weeks to catch up on rent.

    I was wondering if you ever allow tenants to pay rent weeks later if something happens to them. In these cases, do you still serve eviction notices and proceed with eviction? 

    I appreciate any help on this!


     With Class C/D tenants you need to be flexible - but still have guardrails!

    In this specific case, how much credibility/trust has her past performance built up with you? How long has she been a tenant, how many Late Fees, how many maintenance issues, how stable is the employment and job type, etc.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 570 posts · 336 votes
    6mo

    Situations like this are where policy and judgment start to overlap.

    In most cases, I’ve found it’s less about the specific event and more about how consistently you apply a framework. If exceptions are made case-by-case without structure, delinquency tends to spread quickly — especially in tougher markets.

    What’s worked best is keeping the process intact, but allowing controlled flexibility within it:
    • Still serve required notices to preserve your position
    • Set a very clear, short-term payment plan with defined dates
    • Document everything upfront (no open-ended extensions)

    That way you’re not waiving enforcement, but you’re also giving a path forward when there’s a legitimate situation.

    The bigger factor is usually tenant history — if this is a one-off from someone who’s otherwise been consistent, that’s very different from a pattern.

    In markets where delinquency is already a pressure point, the key is making sure compassion doesn’t turn into unpredictability across the portfolio.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    I agree with @Richard F. dont deal with tenants who hang around people who are involved in shootings. Get rid of them and if the property is in that kind of an area flip it off too. 

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    6mo

    I'm going to play devil's advocate here only because I do understand and am all for protecting yourself in this scenario and protecting your finances, but lack of sympathy doesn't exactly belong in this situation just from a human being standpoint. You've mentioned she's been a solid tenant up until this point and she has the evidence to show this truly did happen and isn't some excuse PLUS she proactively asked for some extra time to catch up. Why in the world is the first thought "should I evict her" instead of "is she okay"? She hasn't been a problem for you in the past and I agree with Janice that the history matters significantly and everything should be documented and clear but should be a realistic timeline that can reasonably met that you both agree on.

    I'm sure Richard's assumption comes from some sort of past experience with a similar tenant situation but at the same time you can't possibly screen better to eliminate the risk of tenants that are the victim of domestic violence and a little grace in these situations goes a long way which could result in a long term solid tenant that respects you instead of a revolving door. Would you rather remove a tenant with a solid history over one hiccup that likely wasn't her fault in exchange for a potential replacement problem tenant? If your best friend, mother, sister, daughter, etc, were in the same position would you accept the same advice? 

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Hali Snyder:

      I'm going to play devil's advocate here only because I do understand and am all for protecting yourself in this scenario and protecting your finances, but lack of sympathy doesn't exactly belong in this situation just from a human being standpoint. You've mentioned she's been a solid tenant up until this point and she has the evidence to show this truly did happen and isn't some excuse PLUS she proactively asked for some extra time to catch up. Why in the world is the first thought "should I evict her" instead of "is she okay"? She hasn't been a problem for you in the past and I agree with Janice that the history matters significantly and everything should be documented and clear but should be a realistic timeline that can reasonably met that you both agree on.

      I'm sure Richard's assumption comes from some sort of past experience with a similar tenant situation but at the same time you can't possibly screen better to eliminate the risk of tenants that are the victim of domestic violence and a little grace in these situations goes a long way which could result in a long term solid tenant that respects you instead of a revolving door. Would you rather remove a tenant with a solid history over one hiccup that likely wasn't her fault in exchange for a potential replacement problem tenant? If your best friend, mother, sister, daughter, etc, were in the same position would you accept the same advice? 

       Maybe I missed it but someone needs to show me where the OP said she was a solid tenant up to this point. I never saw anyplace where he said she was a solid tenant. 

      Me: I serve pay or quit notices within our framework, which is day 3 of non-payment. There's a catch up period that they end up getting from the day they get the notice posted anyway, and then there's the court filing, so depending on your state (Ohio I presume) she's going to have a few weeks to catch up anyway. I simply tell them it's business, nothing personal, and if they get it together before we get to court then it just comes down and we go on in life.

      I tell this story to people sometimes. Once upon a time before I retired, at the beginning of my career, I was a city manager in Ohio. Back then (not sure about now) utility bills went with the property, so there was no such thing as delinquent water/sewer/electric because it would just become a lien on the house. Because of that, a lot of landlords would have the water bill sent to them and they would pay it and include it in rent, and some did not. We had a customer get shut off for non-payment. She came to the office and asked to speak to the CM which was me. She was maybe 20 and had a small baby. She told me her story, which was pretty much your story without getting shot, and needed another week or two whatever it was to get caught up. I OK'd it and her water went back on. The day she was supposed to pay, she didn't pay and she was turned off again. She came back to city hall and pled her case with me again (they were on the way there and the car broke down, had to use the money to get the car towed, etc etc). I gave her another shot and told her what her drop-dead payment date would be. That day came and the landlord came in to ask if the bill had been paid. We told him it had not been, and he told us they proceeded to run off in the middle of the night, leaving the landlord (presumably) stuck with the now much-more delinquent water charges. I felt terrible about it for the guy, and even though there were steps he could have taken to avoid the situation (such as paying the bill himself and charging it to them since it could become a lien on his property instead of relying on them to pay the water bills, like most landlords did), my "sympathy" only ended up costing this man extra money. 

      Everyone get shot. And has their car break down. And loses their job because the boss is out to get them. And got their tax refund penalized because they had the same name as another deadbeat. And had to pony up money for their kid's field trip to Zoolandia. ETC. 

      In any case you should talk to my buddy @James Wise who manages a lot of C/D in Ohio. He will have good info for you. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6mo

    Yes.  A few cases they've had delays in pay checks and they are good tenants. In this case, definitely.  It would be different if there were repeated requests for late payments.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    No...rent is due when rent is due - BUT - I would refer her to an organization that can help those in need of emergency assistance for housing and utilities. Those include Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, local Housing Authority.  For her, extending the rent is only going to make her financial situation more difficult. She needs real help and you need to manage to the lease.  "Life" will always happen and will impact tenants' ability to pay but to truly assist them, you need to refer them to community resources who will provide the funds and not require it to be repaid.  Make this right for both of you...

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    I have a heart and depending on the situation, I may take serious circumstances under consideration. However, as you get further into this, you will realize that on certain asset classes, everyone has some kind of reason why they cant pay you. The more leeway you give, the more late or default some will have. You have to make up your mind if you will be a charity or business. Remember, every time they don't pay, if the never do, that means they are staying for free because you are paying for them to be there. 

  • Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    6mo
    I have some tenants in rougher areas and I usually try to show empathy when situations arise. I normally forgive one late payment per year and would consider giving them a break for extenuating circumstances. The key is setting limits to your leniency so they don’t take it for granted. A health condition is something I would always consider to help them.
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    No. If you give her a break on rent every time she gets shot, she’ll just go ahead and get shot every month ;)

    Kidding of course but only half-kidding. I had a property where the tenant’s kid got kidnapped (gang initiation stuff apparently). I gave them a break and then they came back the next month and said their other kid has been kidnapped. Seriously it happened 3 times at that property. Can’t make this stuff up. Another tenant lied about having throat cancer (I called her boss who told me she wasn’t sick but had been fired for showing up to work wasted, her boyfriend had just gotten out of jail, and he got her back on the sauce). 
    Like Mark said every tenant in this asset class has a story why they don’t have rent. Rent is due on the 1st or the notice to pay or quit is delivered. In this case I would explain nicely that its company policy to deliver the required notice to start the process whenever rent is late, no exceptions allowed, but if she pays by the grace period, she’ll be fine. If she doesn’t pay, you’ll be in the right position to move forward with eviction while minimizing your risk. There is probably a required grace period after delivering the notice anyway. It’s two weeks here now. I would also direct her to resources that can help her pay her rent, and there are a lot of them for disadvantaged women in my experience but I’ve also directed women to them before and they don’t bother filling out the forms or applying for the funds, so it can be frustrating. 

    My life got so much better when I sold all of my C/D properties and started only investing in Class A/B locations. So my advice would be to sell and invest in a better location. 

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    6mo

    I would advise the tenant to make a claim for victim compensation with the Crime Victim Services division of the Ohio Attorney General's office to help her get back on her feet so that this hiccup doesn't become a life-altering event.

    We stick to our timelines 100% of the time. But always allow tenants in financial default to pay and stay all the way up until eviction, even where we are not required to do so. In our experience it's better to be inconvenienced on the money than incur the cost of a post-eviction turnover.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2026 · 28 posts · 29 votes
    6mo

    I self-manage a small portfolio in Tacoma and have dealt with similar situations a couple times. What I have found works is being upfront about the process — I still send the notice on schedule because that protects you legally, but I tell the tenant directly that I am not trying to push them out if they can get current within a reasonable window.

    The key is getting it in writing. Even a simple text or email saying here is the balance, here is the plan to catch up by X date, and here is what happens if we miss that date. It sets expectations and gives you a paper trail if things go sideways.

    Honestly the tenants who communicate and bring documentation like yours did are usually the ones worth working with. The ones who ghost you are the real problem.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    When the next city/state enacts strong tenant or anti-landlord laws, 3/4 of the people here should re-read their posts and realize that they are the reason why. 

    A (presumably) good tenant is the victim of a life-altering violent crime, she reaches out to you to request some extra time in order to pay the rent, and the response of 3/4 the people here can be summed up as: GIMME MY F**KING MONEY, B***H!

    Yes, I let her pay late. Just from a business point of view, it is much better to give her a few weeks than to try and evict, pay to refresh the unit, and then re-rent it. 

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Greg M.:

      When the next city/state enacts strong tenant or anti-landlord laws, 3/4 of the people here should re-read their posts and realize that they are the reason why. 

      A (presumably) good tenant is the victim of a life-altering violent crime, she reaches out to you to request some extra time in order to pay the rent, and the response of 3/4 the people here can be summed up as: GIMME MY F**KING MONEY, B***H!

      Yes, I let her pay late. Just from a business point of view, it is much better to give her a few weeks than to try and evict, pay to refresh the unit, and then re-rent it. 


      exactly what choice does he have ??  say no and evict now you have an eviction in East Cleveland ( basically the worst area of cleveland) you lose what 2 to 3 months at least of rent.. you risk your house getting stripped.  Then you have a turnover thats going to cost 3 to 5k minimum.  All for just waiting 2 weeks for rent . ( that assumes of corse this is not all BS and no rent ends up coming to you.. these are the tough decision when you invest in the Hood
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Golan Corshidi:

    Hey all,

    I have been self managing my own portfolio in the rougher parts of East Cleveland. 

    Delinquency has become the biggest difference between profitability and barely breaking even.

    Every month, there are a few residents can't pay rent on time and every now and then the explanation makes me hesitant to stick to our usual delinquency policies. 

    The latest reason was a tenant's boyfriend shot her and she hasn't been able to work. In this case, she even provided the evidence for it. She asked for a couple weeks to catch up on rent.

    I was wondering if you ever allow tenants to pay rent weeks later if something happens to them. In these cases, do you still serve eviction notices and proceed with eviction? 

    I appreciate any help on this!


     Evict her if she can't pay on time. End of story.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Golan Corshidi:

    Hey all,

    I have been self managing my own portfolio in the rougher parts of East Cleveland. 

    Delinquency has become the biggest difference between profitability and barely breaking even.

    Every month, there are a few residents can't pay rent on time and every now and then the explanation makes me hesitant to stick to our usual delinquency policies. 

    The latest reason was a tenant's boyfriend shot her and she hasn't been able to work. In this case, she even provided the evidence for it. She asked for a couple weeks to catch up on rent.

    I was wondering if you ever allow tenants to pay rent weeks later if something happens to them. In these cases, do you still serve eviction notices and proceed with eviction? 

    I appreciate any help on this!

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Golan! Dealing with delinquency is one of the toughest parts of self-managing, especially when real emergencies come up. Most experienced investors will tell you to have a clear policy in place and stick to it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t show some flexibility if the situation is serious and documented, like in the case you mentioned. A lot of landlords might allow a short grace period or a structured payment plan while keeping everything in writing, but they also serve notices if required by law to protect themselves legally—this way, you’re not waiving your rights if the tenant doesn’t follow through. It’s really about balancing compassion with protecting your business, documenting every agreement, and making sure you’re following your state’s eviction and tenant laws so you don’t run into legal trouble later. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    Communicate with the tenant.  Let them know you will give them a grace period--you decide how long you're willing to wait (10 days/2 weeks?)  

    Also, let them know you will be filing paperwork to protect your legal rights, but will honor the grace period.

    If the rent is not paid in full by the hard date you set, proceed with eviction.

    Further, provide the tenant a list of local charities that are known to help tenants in emergency situations like this.  Those organizations will be more responsive if they know there is a legal procedure pending.

    Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.